San José de Ocoa Province
|San José de Ocoa|
|Capital||San José de Ocoa|
|- elevation||475 m (1,558 ft)|
|Area||855.40 km2 (330 sq mi)|
|Population||97,640 (2014) |
|Density||114/km2 (295/sq mi)|
3 municipal districts
|Area code||1-809 1-829 1-849|
Location of the San José de Ocoa Province
San José de Ocoa (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈsaŋ xoˈse ðe oˈko.a]) is a province of the Dominican Republic, and also the name of the province's capital city. It was split from Peravia on January 1, 2000. Published statistics and maps generally include this province in the old, larger, Peravia.
Municipalities and municipal districts
- Rancho Arriba
- Sabana Larga
- San José de Ocoa
The following is a sortable table of the municipalities and municipal districts with population figures as of the 2012 census. Urban population are those living in the seats (cabeceras literally heads) of municipalities or of municipal districts. Rural population are those living in the districts (Secciones literally sections) and neighborhoods (Parajes literally places) outside of them.
|Name||Total population||Urban population||Rural population|
|San José de Ocoa||57,174||42,281||14,893|
|San José de Ocoa province||82,458||53,959||28,499|
For comparison with the municipalities and municipal districts of other provinces see the list of municipalities and municipal districts of the Dominican Republic.
- Haile Rivera, is a community activist, youth mentor and political operative of the Democratic Party in the United States; Rivera is Founder & Executive Director of Hands On New York, Inc. & Dominicanos Unidos de New York (DUNY); In 2007 Haile was special guest to then-Presidential candidate Barack Obama at a dinner where they discussed important topics from poverty, education, war and more. Rivera was then selected to serve on Obama's Presidential campaign's field staff, assigned to Philadelphia (PA), Raleigh (North Carolina), San Juan (Puerto Rico) and Hialeah (Florida) followed by serving on the Obama-Biden Transition team in Washington, DC.
- José Luis Paniagua Sánchez was a relief pitcher who appeared in Major League Baseball from 1996 through 2003 with the Montreal Expos, Seattle Mariners, Detroit Tigers, and Chicago White Sox. He was born in Rancho Arriba, San Jose de Ocoa.
- Rafael Sanchez, better known by the alias of Jack Veneno, former professional wrestler and current sub-secretary of sports, was born in San José de Ocoa.
- Ramón Landestoy Troncoso was a relief pitcher who played in Major League Baseball (MLB) from 2008-2013 for the Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago White Sox. He was born in Barrio de San Antonio in San Jose de Ocoa.
- Consejo Nacional de Población y Familia. "Estamaciones y Proyecciones de la Población Dominicana por Regiones, Provincias, Municipios y Distritos Municipales, 2014" (PDF) (in Spanish). Retrieved 2014-02-02.
- Gwillim Law - Statoids. "Provinces of the Dominican Republic". Retrieved 2007-05-26.
- Oficina Nacional de Estadistica, Departamento de Cartografia, Division de Limites y Linderos. "Listado de Codigos de Provincias, Municipio y Distritos Municipales, Actualizada a Junio 20 del 2006" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2007-01-24.
- Consejo Nacional de Población y Familia. "Censos y Proyecciones de la Población Dominicana por Regiones, Provincias, Municipios y Distritos Municipales, 2012" (PDF) (in Spanish). Retrieved 2012-01-11.