San Juan, Ilocos Sur
Map of Ilocos Sur showing the location of San Juan
|Region||Ilocos (Region I)|
|• Mayor||Benjamin Viloria Sarmiento|
|• Total||64.37 km2 (24.85 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||410/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)77|
|Income class||3rd class|
Because it produces most of the goods made of buri leaf in the province, it is sometimes called the Buri Capital of Ilocos Sur.
The town of Lapog was established in 1772.
The name of the municipality has gone through a series of changes. The early settlers and occupants called it "Lapo", short for "Lapo-Lapo", a tall grass which grew everywhere in the area. In the year 1772, Don Tomas Aquino, the first local leader, initiated the organization of the scattered communities into one, calling the place "Lapog", a derivative of local vernacular "Lap-Lapog" which means unirrigated land. For 189 years, "Lapog" remained in the records as the official name of the town until June 18, 1961, Republic Act No. 3386 was enacted and it was renamed to San Juan. Since most of the inhabitants were of the belief that religious names bring peace, happiness, and prosperity, the town was renamed "San Juan", after the name of its patron saint, Saint John the Baptist.
It was stricken by all sorts of plagues and epidemics (like the smallpox epidemics of 1808 and 1918–19, locust infestation in 1903, and destruction of ricefields by worms called "arabas" in 1905). Bessang Pass, just south of the poblacion, was constructed in 1874. Americans destroyed their town hall in 1903. But despite these misfortunes, San Juan progressed into a prosperous community.
- Bannuar (Pob.)
- Guimod Norte
- Guimod Sur
- Immayos Norte
- Immayos Sur
- Lira (Pob.)
- Pandayan (Pob.)
- Resurreccion (Pob.)
- San Isidro
|Population census of San Juan|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
In the 2015 census, the population of San Juan, Ilocos Sur, was 26,411 people, with a density of 410 inhabitants per square kilometre or 1,100 inhabitants per square mile.
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 11 September 2013. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- "Province: Ilocos Sur". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region I (Ilocos Region)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region I (Ilocos Region)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007). "Region I (Ilocos Region)". Total Population by Province, City and Municipality. NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- "Province of Ilocos Sur". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- Act renaming the Municipality of Lapog to San Juan
- Pasyalang Ilocos Sur
- Lapog ... our town, our home
- Lapoguenio Perspectives
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
||Cabugao||Nueva Era, Ilocos Norte|
|South China Sea||Bangued, Abra|