San Juan Capistrano station
San Juan Capistrano station platform and track in 2010
|Location||26701 Verdugo Street|
San Juan Capistrano, California
|Owned by||City of San Juan Capistrano|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Opened||October 27, 1894|
|Passengers (2015)||229,153 1.56% (Amtrak)|
San Juan Capistrano station is a train station in San Juan Capistrano, California, United States served by Amtrak, the national railroad passenger system, and Metrolink, a commuter railroad. The station has a single side platform serving the single track of the Orange Subdivision.
The station is served by Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner, and with few exceptions is the last stop in Orange County; a few trains stop at San Clemente Pier before crossing into San Diego County. It is also served by Metrolink's two Orange County lines.
The San Juan Capistrano station was originally opened October 27, 1894, by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. It was one of the earliest examples of Mission Revival Style architecture in railway stations. In 1966, the station was closed, two years ahead of the end of Santa Fe passenger service to the city. Under the auspices of Amtrak, rail service was restored to the station in 1974, and a year later, the depot was converted into a restaurant, with vintage rolling stock used to expand the space. In 1995, the complex received a refurbishment, ending up with two restaurants, one located in the depot building, as well as Amtrak ticketing services and a waiting room, located in two boxcars.
Postcard of the original Santa Fe depot in San Juan Capistrano taken in 1894
- Duke, Donald (1995). Santa Fe...The Railroad Gateway to the American West. 1. San Marino, CA: Golden West Books. ISBN 0-8709-5110-6. OCLC 32745686.
- SMA Rail Consulting (April 2016). "California Passenger Rail NETWORK SCHEMATICS" (PDF). California Department of Transportation. p. 26.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2017, State of California" (pdf). Amtrak. November 2017. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2016, State of California" (pdf). Amtrak. November 2016. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- Duke 1995, p. 241
- "Picture of plaque at station". TrainWeb. Archived from the original on 28 February 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- "San Juan Capistrano, CA (SNC)". Great American Stations (Amtrak). Archived from the original on 28 February 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
Media related to San Juan Capistrano station at Wikimedia Commons
- San Juan Capistrano, CA – Amtrak
- San Juan Capistrano at the Metrolink website
- San Juan Capistrano Amtrak-Metrolink Station(USA RailGuide -- TrainWeb)
- San Juan Capistrano (SNC)--Great American Stations (Amtrak)
|This California train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|