San Juan National Historic Site
|San Juan National Historic Site|
|Location||San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|Area||75.13 acres (30.40 ha)|
53.20 acres (21.53 ha) federal
|Established||February 14, 1949|
|Visitors||1,054,492 (in 2005)|
|Governing body||National Park Service|
|Website||San Juan National Historic Site|
|Designated||1983 (7th session)|
|Part of||La Fortaleza and San Juan National Historic Site in Puerto Rico|
|Designated||October 15, 1966|
San Juan National Historic Site (Spanish: Sitio Histórico Nacional de San Juan) in the Old San Juan section of San Juan, Puerto Rico, is a National Park Service-managed historic site which protects and interprets colonial-era forts such as Castillo San Felipe del Morro, bastions, powder houses, and three fourths of the old city wall.
By a February 14, 1949 decree the site was established, and noted the need to protect the fortifications as monuments as well as preserve their historical and architectural value. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966.
On December 6, 1983, the park and La Fortaleza were together designated a World Heritage Site under the name "La Fortaleza and San Juan National Historic Site in Puerto Rico" "because of its outstanding, universal cultural value." Only 12 national park areas in the United States are considered World Heritage Sites.
San Juan National Historic Site features
- Castillo San Cristóbal
- Castillo San Felipe del Morro
- City Walls of Old San Juan
- Fortín San Juan de la Cruz (El Cañuelo)
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- "La Fortaleza and San Juan National Historic Site". UNESCO. Retrieved November 25, 2012.
- Weltzin, Rosanna (15 June 2001). "The Forts of Old San Juan: Guardians of the Caribbean". www.nps.gov. Retrieved 16 June 2019.
- "San Juan National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)". NPS. Retrieved 16 June 2019.
- The National Parks: Index 2001-2003. Washington: U.S. Department of the Interior.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to San Juan National Historic Site.|