The San Juan Star
|Owner(s)||The San Juan Star, Inc.|
|President||Ricardo Alfonso Angulo|
The San Juan Star is an English-language, Pulitzer Prize-winning daily newspaper based in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The newspaper was originally published by Star Media Network, a subdivision of San Juan Star, Inc.
The newspaper was founded in 1959 by William J. Dorvillier, and was intended for the English-speaking population in Puerto Rico. Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist William Kennedy was once the managing editor of the Star, soon after its inception to 1961. Other contributors included Eddie López and Juan Manuel García Passalacqua. The paper was sold in 1996 from then owner Scripps-Howard to Gerry Angulo, who had formerly worked for money manager Ivan Boesky.
On Friday August 29, 2008, The Star published its last issue and closed down with publisher Gerry Angulo blaming the union for not agreeing to cost cuts. At the time, the Star had 120 employees. The paper had reportedly been losing money for several years and the losses deepened due to the 2008 recession.
In 2009, The San Juan Star reopened as a weekly with a new staff and a new vision. It has since increased to daily publication: Monday through Thursday with an additional weekend edition. On October 25, 2015, Gerry Angulo died as a result of his car accident. He was replaced by his son, Ricardo Alfonso Angulo, which is also an owner of WEGA 1350 AM in Vega Baja.
- "W. J. Dorvillier, 85; Founded Newspaper And Won a Pulitzer", New York Times, May 6, 1993
- New York State Writers Institute William Kennedy Biography
- William Kennedy (November 26, 2013), "Always an ink-stained wretch: William Kennedy on his life as a journalist", Columbia Journalism Review, New York
- "Eddie Lopez, Humorist, Is Dead; Columnist for The San Juan Star", New York Times, November 28, 1971
- "Warning Flags". Forbes. 3 May 1999. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- Coto, Danica (29 August 2008). "Renowned 'San Juan Star' newspaper folds after 49 years". USA Today. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
|This Puerto Rico-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|