San Lio, Venice
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
San Lio in Venice
Built in the 9th century by the patrician family of the Badoer it was first named St Catherine of Alexandria. In 1054, it was rededicated to St Leone (san Lio in venetian dialect) in honor of pope Leo IX, who had favored the cause of Venice in a 1043 dispute between the Doge Contarini of Venice, the Patriarch of Aquileia over who had supremacy over the region of Grado.
Architecture and Interior Decoration
The presytery was rebuilt in the 15th century, and the church underwent a major reconstruction and design in 1783. The latest reconstruction led to a single nave; the bell-tower was taken down. The interior retains some paintings and sculpture including:
- St James (c. 1540) by Titian
- Angels and virtues by Giandomenico Tiepolo
- Dead Christ upheld by Saints and Angels (main altarpiece) by Jacopo Palma il Giovane .
- Above the entrance to the chapel to the left is the funeral monument to Andrea Pisani, who died in 1718.
The child has an organ from the 18th century. painted with Life of David and Virgin with Putti .
Angels and virtues by Giandomenico Tiepolo
Padre Celeste con santi Pietro Antonio Novelli
Apostolo Giacomo il maggiore - Titian - 1558
Dead Christ upheld by Saints and Angels by Jacopo Palma il Giovane
- Four Evangelists, sculpture by Pietro Lombardo, and a Pietà with Saints, by his son Tullio Lombardo in the chapel of the Gussoni family.
- Gussoni Red Veil Paintings Triptych (2015), by artist Sylke von Gaza commissioned by Curia Patriarcale di Venezia
Gussoni chapel with Gussoni Red Veil Paintings Triptych (2015) by Sylke von Gaza
Relief of Lamentation of Christ by Tullio Lombardo
Tomb of Canaletto
- Le chiese di Venezia, Marcello Brusegan; Ed. Newton
- Italian Wikipedia Entry
- Patriarcato di Venezia, Ufficio Beni Culturali e Turismo. "Art-Project Beyond the Veil: Gussoni Red Veil Paintings Triptych (2015)". www.veneziaupt.org (in Italian). Retrieved 2017-07-26.