San Lorenzo, Puerto Rico
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|San Lorenzo, Puerto Rico|
|Nickname(s): "The Town of the Samaritans", "Land of Leyends"|
|Anthem: "Son tus campos de bellísimo verdor"|
Location of San Lorenzo in Puerto Rico
|Founded by||Valenciano Munoz de Oneca|
|• Mayor||Hon. Joe Román (PPD)|
|• Senatorial dist.||7 - Humacao|
|• Representative dist.||33|
|• Total||53.3 sq mi (138.07 km2)|
|• Land||53.3 sq mi (138 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.07 km2) 0%%|
|• Density||790/sq mi (300/km2)|
|Time zone||AST (UTC-4)|
San Lorenzo (Spanish pronunciation: [san loˈɾenso], Saint Lawrence) is a municipality of Puerto Rico (U.S.) located in the eastern central region, north of Patillas and Yabucoa; south of Gurabo; east of Caguas and Cayey; and west of Juncos and Las Piedras. San Lorenzo is spread over twelve wards and San Lorenzo Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city). It is part of the San Juan-Caguas-Guaynabo Metropolitan Statistical Area.
San Lorenzo was founded in 1737 and the church was erected in 1811, the original name San Miguel de Hato Grande was changed to San Lorenzo. According to tradition it was because the latter saint appeared to several neighbors in the river valley. San Lorenzo is known as "The People of the Samaritans" because of the following story; "By 1920, in the barrio Hato of San Lorenzo according to the media available at the time and verbal testimonies of people who are still alive, crowds of people climbed a mountain where a young girl of 12 years of age lived. This young girl named Julia Vazquez Torres, according to some sources, had a supernatural power that repeatedly gave healing to people in need. These undeniable achievements were not present at the time, she used home remedies applied with medicinal plants and minerals and the purity of the water from a well, near the mountain where people came to see her. As time passed, she became an adult, but her reputation for integrity and dedication to the wellbeing of the people accompanied her every day her life".
San Lorenzo is located in the eastern central region, north of Patillas and Yabucoa; south of Gurabo; east of Caguas and Cayey; and west of Juncos and Las Piedras.
- Cayey Mountain Range
- Río Cayaguás
- Río Emajagua
- Río Grande de Loíza
- Río de Las Vegas
- Wards or barrios
- Pueblo - Population 2,490
- Cayaguas _ Population 1,345
- Cerro Gordo - Population 4,400
- Espino - Population 3,345
- Florida - Population 5,791
- Hato - Population 7,109
- Jagual - Population 4,316
- Quebrada - Population 2,231
- Quebrada Arenas - Population 2,751
- Quebrada Honda - Population 2,309
- Quemados - Population 4,771
- Landmarks and places of interest
- Priscilla Flores Theater
- Santuario de la Virgen del Carmen en la Santa Montaña (Holy Mountain)
- Gallera San Carlos-(Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday; Tel.(787)734-7126
- Río Grande de Loíza
- Iglesia Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes (church); a National Historic Site; built in 1737 and renovated in 1993.
The economy of San Lorenzo, founded in the herd, that is, livestock farming, later included the cultivation of sugar cane, which was processed in this period in a steam-driven farm and five oxen and two stills . Coffee and fruits are also cultivated in the municipality. Timber production, which was very rich, had declined by the uncontrolled exploitation of forests.
Clothing, pharmaceuticals, footwear, electromechanical equipment, industrial and household paints
Events and Festivals:
- Three Kings Caroling-January
- Cavalcade Moncho Roldán-January
- Candelaria Celebrations-February
- Kite Festival-March
- Cross Celebrations-May
- Patron Celebrations-September
- Embroidering and Weave Festival-September
- Passion Fruit Festival-November
- AA Class Amateur Baseball Club "Los Samaritanos"-National Champions(1975,1997,1999,2000,2001,2002) osAA.
- Agustin Reyes Half Marathon
Like all municipalities in Puerto Rico, San Lorenzo is administered by a mayor. The current mayor is José Román Abreu(Joe), from the Popular Democratic Party (PPD). Román was elected at the 2000 general election.
The flag of San Lorenzo is divided in four rectangles of equal size, two rectangles are yellow and the other two are striped with red and yellow stripes.
Coat of arms The grill is the traditional symbol of San Lorenzo, deacon and martyr, patron of the town, because in a grill he underwent the martyrdom, slowly burned to death. The hill or mountain represent the Gregorio Hill, which dominates the San Lorenzo panorama. The cross is one of the heraldic attributes of San Miguel Arcángel.
Notable natives and residents
- Chayanne-Singer and actor
- Ernestina Reyes "La Calandria" - Singer
- José Tous Soto-Former Speaker House of Representatives
- Antonio Fernós-Isern-Former resident Commissioner
- José Aponte Hernández-Former Speaker House of Representatives
- Carmita Jiménez-Singer
- Priscila Flores-Singer
- El Invader #1-professional wrestler
- Escolastico Capeles - oldest man in San Lorenzo 110 years old
- Dr. Marc H. Rosa, - Former Teacher, School Administrator and University Professor
- Jay Fonseca - Political Commentator