San Marino at the 2002 Winter Olympics
|San Marino at the|
2002 Winter Olympics
|NOC||Comitato Olimpico Nazionale Sammarinese|
|in Salt Lake City|
|Competitors||1 (man) in 1 sport|
|Flag bearer||Gian Matteo Giordani|
|Winter Olympics appearances (overview)|
San Marino sent a delegation to compete at the 2002 Winter Olympics, in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States from 8–24 February 2002. This was the nation's sixth appearance at a Winter Olympic Games. The delegation consisted of a single athlete, alpine skier Gian Matteo Giordani. In his race, the giant slalom, he finished in last place of those who finished the course at 57th.
San Marino first entered Olympic competition at the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome. The nation did not enter a Winter Olympic Games until Innsbruck in 1976. Excepting the 1980 and 1998 Winter Olympics, San Marino has participated in every edition of the Winter Olympics since, making Salt Lake City the nation's sixth Winter Olympics appearance. The Sammarinesi delegation consisted of a single alpine skier, Gian Matteo Giordani. He was also selected as the flag bearer for the opening ceremony. He was the only athlete competing for San Marino at the 2002 Games.
Gian Matteo Giordani was 17 years old at the time of the Salt Lake City Olympics. Giordani placed at 73rd and 57th in the first and second runs, respectively. Giordani finished with a combined time of 2:48.31 and in 57th place overall, leaving him in last place among competitors that successfully completed the course.
|Athlete||Event||Race 1||Race 2||Total|
|Gian Matteo Giordani||Giant Slalom||1:25.02||1:23.29||2:48.31||57|
- "San Marino". Sports Reference. Archived from the original on 8 March 2018. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- "San Marino at the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Games". Sports Reference. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- "The XIX Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City 8th - 24th February 2002" (PDF). International Olympic Committee. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- Bower, Amanda (21 Feb 2002). "In Praise of the Lone Olympians". TIME. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- "Gian Matteo Giordani Bio, Stats, and Results". Sports Reference. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- "Alpine Skiing at the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympic Games: Men's Giant Slalom Run 1". Sports Reference. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- "Alpine Skiing at the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympic Games: Men's Giant Slalom Run 2". Sports Reference. Retrieved 20 June 2018.