San Marino in the Eurovision Song Contest 2012
|Eurovision Song Contest 2012|
|Selection process||Internal selection|
|Selection date(s)||Artist: 14 March 2012
Song: 16 March 2012 (First)
22 March 2012 (Second)
|Selected entrant||Valentina Monetta|
|Selected song||"The Social Network Song"|
|Semi-final result||Failed to qualify (14th, 31 points)|
|San Marino in the Eurovision Song Contest|
San Marino participated in the Eurovision Song Contest 2012 in Baku, Azerbaijan. The Sammarinese entry was selected through an internal selection, organised by the Sammarinese broadcaster San Marino RTV (SMRTV). Valentina Monetta represented San Marino with the song "The Social Network Song", which failed to qualify from the first semi-final, achieving 14th place with 31 points.
However, it was announced that the song's lyrics breached rule 1.2.2. (g), which states;
"The lyrics and/or performance of the songs shall not bring the Shows, the ESC as such or the EBU into disrepute. No lyrics, speeches, gestures of a political or similar nature shall be permitted during the ESC. No swearing or other unacceptable language shall be allowed in the lyrics or in the performances of the songs. No commercial messages of any kind shall be allowed. A breach of this rule may result in disqualification."
EBU ordered San Marino to either change the lyrics and the title of the song or select a new song, no later than 23 March.
A revised version of the song, under the title "The Social Network Song", was presented on 22 March.
San Marino competed in the second half of the first semi-final on 22 May, but did not proceed to the final. After the grand final on the 26th of May, full results showed that the song ended in 14th place with 31 points, making the entry San Marino's best placing in Eurovision compared to previous years, and showed that there were improvements.
Points awarded to San Marino
|12 points||10 points||8 points||7 points||6 points|
|5 points||4 points||3 points||2 points||1 point|
Points awarded by San Marino
- "Eurovision Song Contest 2012 Semi-Final (1)". Eurovision.tv.
- Roxburgh, Gordon (22 March 2012). "'The Social Network Song' for San Marino". Eurovision.tv.
- "Valentina Monetta rappresenterà San Marino a Baku 2012". San Marino RTV (in Italian). Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- Roxburgh, Gordon. "Valentina Monetta to represent San Marino". EBU. Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- Roxburgh, Gordon (16 March 2012). "Valentina Monetta to sing "Facebook Uh,Oh,Oh"". EBU. Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- Siim, Jarmo. "EBU: San Marino song lyrics in breach of Rules". EBU. Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- "'The Social Network song' for San Marino". EBU. Retrieved 22 March 2012.