San Martin Airport
San Martin Airport
View from northeast
|Operator||County of Santa Clara|
|Location||San Martin, California|
|Elevation AMSL||281 ft / 85.6 m|
San Martin Airport (formerly South County Airport of Santa Clara County, colloquially South County Airport) (FAA LID: E16) — formerly Q99 — is a public non-towered airport located one mile (1.6 km) east of San Martin, serving Santa Clara County, California, United States. This general aviation airport covers 179 acres (72 ha) and has one runway. A self-service fueling facility offers 100LL aviation gasoline continuously. Jet-A fuel is available from a full-service truck during FBO operating hours, and major airframe and powerplant service are available. San Martin Aviation is the fixed-base operator (FBO) at South County, serving aviation fuels and aircraft & hangar maintenance.
Although still distinctly visible from the air and shown on some maps, taxiway "F", adjacent to the U.S. Route 101 fence, has been abandoned and decommissioned since about 2000.
The Wings of History Air Museum is located adjacent to the airport.
Instrument approaches and departures
San Martin Airport has one instrument approach procedure approved and published by the Federal Aviation Administration. The RNAV (GPS) RWY 32 approach is documented for normal and circling approaches using RNAV or GPS guidance with 1200' MDA and 1 1/4 mile visibility minimums. The RNAV (GPS) RWY 32 approach is not approved for use at night. The airport is equipped with pilot-controlled lighting.
There are no Standard Instrument Departure (SID) procedures published for the San Martin Airport.
Takeoff minimum visibility is standard at 1 mile for climb in instrument conditions, or alternately a ceiling of 1700 feet and 2.5 miles visibility for climb in visual conditions while operating under an instrument flight plan and clearance.
In late 2013 County of Santa Clara staff recommended that the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors rename South County Airport to "San Martin Airport". This recommendation was approved by the County Airports Commission on 1 October 2013 and referred to the Board of Supervisors for final approval. The board of supervisors subsequently unanimously approved the proposal on 28 January 2014, making its proposed name official.
- "South County Airport of Santa Clara County Airport". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- Logan, Jake. "San Martin Aviation takes over as FBO for San Martin Airport". City of San Martin. City of San Martin. Retrieved 26 November 2020.
- "RNAV (GPS) RWY 32 Approach Procedure, Volume SW2, revision 1403, effective 2014-03-06" (PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. 6 March 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 March 2014. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- "Takeoff Minimums and (Obstacle) Departure Procedures, p. L1, revision 1403, effective 2014-03-06" (PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. 6 March 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 March 2014. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- "County of Santa Clara Airports Commission Regular Meeting agenda packet (PDF), Page 4, item 5". County of Santa Clara. 1 October 2013. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- "Consider recommendations relating to renaming of South County Airport". County of Santa Clara. 28 January 2014. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- Santa Clara County Airports, a division of the County Roads and Airports Department
- South County Airport Pilots Association
- Magnum Aviation
- Wings of History Air Museum
- Resources for this airport: