San Miguel, Chile
|City and Commune|
|Coordinates (alcalde's office): Coordinates:|
|Founded||10 August 1896|
|• Alcalde||Julio César Palestro Velásquez (PS)|
|• Total||9.5 km2 (3.7 sq mi)|
|Population (2006 projection)|
|• Density||8,300/km2 (22,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT  (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST  (UTC-3)|
|Area code(s)||56 +|
|Website||Municipality of San Miguel|
As a commune, Bulnes is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The alcalde's office (alcaldía) is located at Gran Avenida No. 3418. The 2008-2012 alcalde is Julio César Palestro Velásquez (PS) and the council members are:
- Rodrigo González Cerón (UDI)
- María Cristina Teixido Oliu IND (UDI)
- Rodrigo Barrientos Nunes (RN)
- Patricia Núñez Mañan (PDC)
- Gloria Arancibia Farías (PPD)
- Carlos García Ponce (PS)
San Miguel belongs to the 28th electoral division (together with Pedro Aguirre Cerda and Lo Espejo) and the 8th senatorial constituency (Santiago East). It is represented in the Chamber of Deputies of the National Congress by the deputies Guillermo Teillier del Valle (PCCh) and Pedro Browne Urrejola (RN). It is represented in the Senate by senators Soledad Alvear (PDC) and Pablo Longueira (UDI).
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, San Miguel spans an area of 9.5 km2 (4 sq mi) and has 78,872 inhabitants (37,836 men and 41,036 women), making the commune an entirely urban area. The population fell by 4.8% (3997 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses. The demonym for a person from San Miguel is sanmiguelino for a man or sanmiguelina for a woman.
- Other statistics
- Average annual household income: US$39,670 (PPP, 2006)[not in citation given]
- Population below poverty line: 2.5% (2006)
- Regional quality of life index: 82.17, high, 6 out of 52 (2005)
- Human Development Index: 0.765, 31 out of 341 (2003)
- "Municipality of San Miguel" (in Spanish). Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "Administrative and Censual Political Division" (PDF) (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 September. Check date values in:
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 8 September 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- Government of Cile: SUBDERE - Alcaldes and Councilors (in Spanish), retrieved 3 September 2010[dead link]
- "Regional Information System". Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "Poverty in the Santiago Metropolitan Region" (PDF). Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Archived from the original (PDF) on August 24, 2007.
- "The Trajectories of Human Development in the Communes of Chile (1994-2003)" (PDF). Government of Chile, Mideplán (in Spanish). UNDP. Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- (Spanish) Municipality of San Miguel