San Miguel, Leyte
Map of Leyte with San Miguel highlighted
|Region||Eastern Visayas (Region VIII)|
|District||1st district of Leyte|
|• Mayor||Cheeryl Enrica L. Esperas|
|• Total||145.11 km2 (56.03 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||130/km2 (350/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)53|
|Income class||4th municipal income class|
|Electorate||12,669 voters as of 2016|
- Libtong (East Poblacion)
- San Andres
- Santa Cruz
- Cayare (West Poblacion)
According to the manuscript written by Lorenzo Babula, one of the old town executives of this municipality, the first people were only few then so their homes were scattered in the forests where they tilled land for subsistence. Later, some settled along the seashore and they fished for food and as a means of livelihood.
As time went on, many of them lived in a place called "Sabang" which means mouth of the river then later it became a small barrio. This was the period when the "Moros" from Jolo who were pirates forced women to go with them to Mindanao so they couldbe sold to their "datu" or ruler as cooks or laundrywomen.
|Population census of San Miguel|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority |
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "Province: Leyte". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Census of Population (2015): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Census of Population and Housing (2010): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007): Total Population by Province, City and Municipality (Report). NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- "Province of Leyte". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System