San Policarpo, Eastern Samar
Map of Northern Samar with San Policarpo highlighted
|Region||Eastern Visayas (Region VIII)|
|Congr. district||Lone district of E. Samar|
|• Mayor||Thelma Uy Nicart|
|• Total||78 km2 (30 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||190/km2 (490/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)55|
San Policarpo is a fifth class municipality in the province of Eastern Samar, Philippines. In the north-west, it is bounded by Arteche, in the north-east by the vast Pacific Ocean and in the south by Oras. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 14,687 people.
San Policarpo was established as a barrio in 1837. The Municipality of San Policarpo was created from the barrios of San Policarpo, Bahay, Alugan, Pangpang, Japonan, Tabo, Binogawan and Cajagwayan of the municipality of Oras in 1948 under Republic Act No. 281 and inaugurated on February 5, 1949. In 1952, the barrio of Sta. Monica was transferred from Oras to San Policarpo.
The town was formerly named "Bunga", derived from the plant called bunga which was very abundant in the present site of the town. "Bunga" means fruit, thus the name indicates the fruit of the toils of its founders.
- Baras (Lipata)
- Barangay No. 1 (Pob.)
- Barangay No. 2 (Pob.)
- Barangay No. 3 (Pob.)
- Barangay No. 4 (Pob.)
- Barangay No. 5 (Pob.)
- Santa Cruz
|Population census of San Policarpo|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
The population of San Policarpo, Eastern Samar, in the 2015 census was 14,687 people, with a density of 190 inhabitants per square kilometre or 490 inhabitants per square mile.
The local economy of San Policarpio, one of the country's poorest towns, is dependent on fishing and farming.
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "Province: Eastern Samar". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Census of Population (2015): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "An act creating the municipality of San Policarpo in the province of Samar". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "Province of Eastern Samar". Municipality Population Data. LWUA Research Division. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- Ricky Bautista (July 28, 2014). "Eastern Samar town has 2 mayors". philstar.com. The Philippine Star. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
|Oras||Lipusan Bay (Philippine Sea)|