San Rafael, Iloilo
Town market of San Rafael
Map of Iloilo with San Rafael highlighted
|Region||Western Visayas (Region VI)|
|Legislative district||5th district of Iloilo|
|• Mayor||Roel T. Belleza|
|• Total||67.05 km2 (25.89 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||250/km2 (640/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)33|
San Rafael is a fifth class municipality in the province of Iloilo, Philippines. It is bordered by Dumarao to the north, Lemery to the east, Barotac Viejo to the south, and Passi City to the west. The current mayor is Roel Tupas "Beeboy" Belleza. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 16,532 people.
In 1969, all or part of 16 barrios (barangays) of Barotac Viejo were separated from that town and consolidated into the new municipality. However, in 1971 Republic Act No. 6267 decreed that 5 barrios be restored to Barotac Viejo, with the barrio of Omio becoming part of Lemery.
In February 2012, a fire damaged 18 stalls in the public market. Because San Rafael has no fire station, fire trucks had to be called in from nearby towns.
Typhoon Haiyan passed over Panay Island on November 8, 2013, affecting San Rafael along with several other coastal cities. The provincial board declared the state of Iloilo to be in a state of emergency, after acting governor Raul C. Tupas toured the fifth district. Local convenience stores were heavily damaged during the storm, although at least one reopened soon after. Several houses were damaged during the typhoon. They were destroyed by strong wind and falling trees. After a few days, relief soon arrived. Several new houses were built by a religious organization.
San Rafael is politically subdivided into 9 barangays. 
- San Andres
- San Dionisio
- San Florentino
|Population census of San Rafael|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
In the 2015 census, the population of San Rafael, Iloilo, was 16,532 people, with a density of 250 inhabitants per square kilometre or 650 inhabitants per square mile.
In 2013, Beboy Belleza was re-elected as mayor by an almost 2-1 margin.
San Rafael has elementary schools in almost all barangays. There is a primary school in Bagacay. San Rafael Central School is located in Poblacion. Children spend 2 years in kindergarten and 6 years in elementary.
San Rafael has two high schools: San Rafael National High School was established in 1983, while Ilongbukid National High School was created in 2000. Students spend 4 years in high school. There are 4 grading periods each school year. The 4th grading period is the most important because it determines if the student will advance a grade the next school year.
Secondary school starts with 1st Year and ends with 4th Year. The subjects for Grade 1 students are English, Mathematics, Pilipino, and Sibika at Cultura (History and Culture). English language is used as the language of instruction for English, Mathematics, and Science. Grade 2 students take English, Mathematics, Science, Sibika at Kutura, Agriculture. Grade 3-6 students take additional courses, such as Music, Art, P.E., and Hekasi (it contains 5 subjects but is graded as one subject).
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Province: Iloilo". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Region VI (Western Visayas)". Census of Population (2015): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "COMLEC election results 2010".
- "Act creating Municipality of San Rafael". Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- "Act Restoring barrios to Barotac Viejo". Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- Iloilo public market razed
- "Typhoon ‘Yolanda’ destroys several towns in Iloilo"
- Provincial board declares Iloilo under state of calamity
- Typhoon Haiyan: Images from Panay Island
- "Region VI (Western Visayas)". Census of Population and Housing (2010): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Province of Iloilo". Municipality Population Data. LWUA Research Division. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- 2013 Election Results for San Rafael, Iloilo
- "List of primary schools in San Rafael". Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- "An Act Converting San Rafael Barangay HS into San Rafael NHS". Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- "Act creating Ilongbukid NHS". Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
- "San Rafael at Illongos.net".
|Passi City||Barotac Viejo|
|San Enrique||Barotac Viejo|