San Rafael Transit Center
|Location||3rd Street and Hetherton Street|
San Rafael, California
|Line(s)||SMART Mainline Subdivision|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections|| Golden Gate Transit|
Sonoma County Airport Express
Sonoma County Transit
|Fare zone||1 (SMART) 4 (GGT)|
|Opened||1991 (bus service)|
July 8, 2017 (SMART preview)
August 25, 2017 (SMART service)
|approx. 4,500 bus boardings daily (2018)|
The San Rafael Transportation Center (also called C. Paul Bettini Transportation Center) is an intermodal transportation center located in downtown San Rafael, California. It is a primary transfer point for several local and regional bus operators, and a commuter rail station on the Sonoma–Marin Area Rail Transit (SMART) system.
The original San Rafael railway depot that served the Northwestern Pacific Railroad was located at what is now a cafe north of the station. As rail use fell into decline and was discontinued in the mid 20th century, busses came to prominence with the expansion of the road and highway system. The current transportation center was constructed around the station building in 1991.
SMART testing began in March 2016. Service began with preview rides on July 8, 2017, and full service commenced on August 25, 2017. The station acted as the southern terminal of the line until December 14, 2019, when the extension to Larkspur station opened. The bus terminal was reconfigured to allow the SMART tracks to pass through.
Marin Airporter service to the San Rafael Transit Center ended on October 6, 2019 due to traffic congestion around the transit center.
San Rafael Transit Center has two side platforms serving the two tracks of the SMART mainline. The bus area, located south of the SMART platforms, has two side platforms and two island platforms.
- Marin Transit: 17, 22, 23, 23X, 29, 35, 36, 49, 68, 71X, 122, 125, 145, 228, 233, 245, 257
- Golden Gate Transit: 27, 30, 31, 40, 40X, 70, 101
- Sonoma County Transit: 38
- Sonoma County Airport Express
- Greyhound Lines
- SMA Rail Consulting (April 2016). "California Passenger Rail Network Schematics" (PDF). California Department of Transportation. p. 1.
- Prado, Mark (11 March 2016). "San Rafael Transit Center to undergo major changes with SMART's arrival". Digital First Media. Marin Independent Journal. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "SMART Public Preview Rides". SMART. Retrieved 9 July 2017.
- "SAN RAFAEL TRANSPORTATION CENTER: Relocation Analysis, Environmental Clearance, and Preliminary Design" (PDF). Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District. 2018.
- Prado, Mark (4 March 2016). "Commuter train rolls into San Rafael for the first time in 50 years". Marin Independent Journal. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- Prado, Mark (4 February 2017). "San Rafael wants a delay in SMART trains to Larkspur". Marin Independent Journal. Retrieved 5 February 2017.
- "AFTER OCT. 6TH, CENTRAL SAN RAFAEL TRANSIT CENTER WILL NO LONGER BE AN AIRPORTER BUS STOP" (Press release). Marin Airporter.
- "Station Map: San Rafael Transit Center" (PDF). Metropolitan Transportation Commission. October 10, 2019.
- "Schedules and Fares: San Rafael Transit Center" (PDF). Metropolitan Transportation Commission. August 29, 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to San Rafael Transit Center.|