Church of San Sebastián, Toledo
|39°51′13″N 4°01′32″W / 39.8535°N 4.0255°WCoordinates: 39°51′13″N 4°01′32″W / 39.8535°N 4.0255°W|
|Former name(s)||AL-Dabbagin mosque|
San Sebastian is a redundant church in Toledo, Spain. Originally a mosque, it was converted for use as church after the Reconquista. It is protected by the heritage listing Bien de Interés Cultural.
Archeological research shows that the building was constructed in the 10th century and enlarged in the 11th century, as a mosque called Al-Dabbagin (sometimes transliterated as Adabaquín). It was close to the former city gate of Bab-al-Dabbagin (also known by its Spanish name, Puerta de los Curtidores ["Gate of the Tanners"] ) and to the baths now known as Baños de Tenerías.
Some time after Toledo was reconquered in 1085, the building became a church, belonging to one of six parishes where Alfonso VI of León and Castile permitted the use of the Mozarabic rite. Its architectural reconstruction dates from the late 12th or the 13th century.
The church as it now remains shows the characteristics of the Mudéjar architectural style, with rich Arabic decorations. The tower of the church shows characteristics of the former minaret that stood in its place and is from the 15th century.
Concert Hall and Museum
Since 1916 in the hands of the Consorcio de Toledo, the building is used as a Concert Hall and center for expositions of contemporary artists. 2017 the Spanish artist Lita Mora  showed her installation about Dante's Inferno and 2018 the Consorcio of Toledo organized the exhibition of Swiss artist Daniel Garbade: "In Bed with Greco and Picasso".
- ^ a b The existence of the Al-Dabbagin mosque is attested by a short reference by Ibn Baskuwal (1101-83) reported by Fath ibn Ibrahim. see: Actas de las i jornadas de Cultura Islámica, Toledo, Instituto Occidental de Cultura Islámica (ed.) 1987, p. 158
- ^ "El Consorcio vuelve a mostrar el «Patrimonio Desconocido»" on: ABC.es (06-11-2007) 
- ^ "Iglesias Desaparecidas" "Iglesias mozárabes de Toledo. Iglesias desaparecidas". Archived from the original on 2009-10-14. Retrieved 2008-12-01. (retrieved on December 1, 2008)
- ^ Matilde Revuelta Tubino, Inventario Artistico de Toledo, Madrid, Centro Nacional de Informaciones Artística, 1983-89, p.320
- ^ "Música y patrimonio se citan en la iglesia de San Sebastián de Toledo". abc (in European Spanish). Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- ^ "Exposición Lita Mora en la Iglesia de San Sebastián - Toledo 30 Aniversario". Toledo 30 Aniversario (in European Spanish). Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- ^ "En cama con Greco y Picasso". En cama con Greco y Picasso (in European Spanish). Retrieved 2018-09-22.