Church of San Sebastián, Toledo
|Former name(s)||AL-Dabbagin mosque|
San Sebastian is a redundant church in Toledo, Spain. The building was originally a mosque and was converted for use as church after the Reconquista. It is protected by the heritage listing Bien de Interés Cultural.
Archeological research shows that the building was originally constructed as a mosque in the 10th century, and enlarged in the 11th century. The mosque was called Al-Dabbagin, sometimes transliterated as Adabaquín. It was close to the former city gate called "Bab-al-Dabbagin" also known by its Spanish name as "Puerta de los Curtidores" (English translation: gate of the tanners). It was also close to the baths now known by the Spanish name Baños de Tenerías.
Some time after Toledo was reconquered in 1085 the building became a church, belonging to one of six parishes where Alfonso VI of León and Castile permitted the use of the Mozarabic rite. The architectural reconstruction dates from the late 12th or 13th century.
The church as it now remains shows the characteristics of the Mudéjar architectural style, with rich Arabic decorations. The tower of the church shows characteristics of the former minaret that stood in its place and is from the 15th century.
Concert Hall and Museum
Since 1916 in the hands of the Consorcio de Toledo, the building is used as a Concert Hall and center for expositions of contemporary artists. 2017 the Spanish artist Lita Mora showed her installation about Dante's Inferno and 2018 the Consorcio of Toledo organized the exhibition of Swiss artist Daniel Garbade: "In Bed with Greco and Picasso".
- The existence of the Al-Dabbagin mosque is attested by a short reference by Ibn Baskuwal (1101-83) reported by Fath ibn Ibrahim. see: Actas de las i jornadas de Cultura Islámica, Toledo, Instituto Occidental de Cultura Islámica (ed.) 1987, p. 158
- "El Consorcio vuelve a mostrar el «Patrimonio Desconocido»" on: ABC.es (06-11-2007) 
- "Iglesias Desaparecidas" "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-10-14. Retrieved 2008-12-01.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) (retrieved on December 1, 2008)
- Matilde Revuelta Tubino, Inventario Artistico de Toledo, Madrid, Centro Nacional de Informaciones Artística, 1983-89, p.320
- "Música y patrimonio se citan en la iglesia de San Sebastián de Toledo". abc (in Spanish). Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "Exposición Lita Mora en la Iglesia de San Sebastián - Toledo 30 Aniversario". Toledo 30 Aniversario (in Spanish). Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "En cama con Greco y Picasso". En cama con Greco y Picasso (in Spanish). Retrieved 2018-09-22.
- ARTEHISTORIA - Ciudades del Arte - Ficha Iglesia de San Sebastián Photo and map on ArteHistoria
- Iglesia de San Sebastián Photos on Toledo es otra Historia
|This article about a church building or other Christian place of worship in Spain is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|