San Simon, Pampanga
|Municipality of San Simon|
Map of Pampanga with San Simon highlighted
|Region||Central Luzon (Region III)|
|Founded||November 15, 1771|
|Barangays||14 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Leonora C. Wong|
|• Electorate||34,442 voters (2016)|
|• Total||57.37 km2 (22.15 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||930/km2 (2,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (PST)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)45|
|Climate type||Tropical monsoon climate|
|Income class||3rd Class|
San Simon is accessible via the North Luzon Expressway via the San Simon current exit.
San Simon is politically subdivided into 14 barangays.
- De La Paz
- San Juan
- San Agustin
- San Isidro
- San Jose
- San Miguel
- San Nicolas
- San Pablo Libutad
- San Pablo Propio
- San Pedro
- Santa Cruz
- Santa Monica
- Santo Niño
|Population census of San Simon|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
In the 2015 census, the population of San Simon, Pampanga, was 53,198 people, with a density of 930 inhabitants per square kilometre or 2,400 inhabitants per square mile.
Like most Kapampangan people, residents of San Simon retain their Kapampangan language and traditional culture and arts brought about by their Malay ancestors and enriched by Chinese, Spanish, American, Japanese and other ethnic and foreign cultures. Religious affiliations are:
- Catholic 80%
- Members Church of God International 10%
- Iglesia ni Cristo 7%
- others 3%
The principal industries in San Simon are farming, fishing and poultry and swine industries. There are two public markets in San Simon, one in the old poblacion area and another one located in the industrial zone area.
San Simon is governed by a mayor and vice mayor who are elected to three-year terms. The mayor is the executive head and leads the town's departments in executing the ordinances and improving public services. The vice mayor heads a legislative council (Sangguniang Bayan) consisting of councilors from the barangays of barrios.
List of former town executives
Available records at the Municipal Hall list the following town executives from 1898 until present:
|1898||Juan Agulo||Kapitan del Pueblo|
|1899||Solomon Ibanez||Kapitan del Pueblo|
|1900||Diego de los Santos||Kapitan del Pueblo|
|1901||Macario Santos||Kapitan del Pueblo|
|1902||Basilio de los Santos||Kapitan del Pueblo|
|1903||Manuel Ibanez||Kapitan del Pueblo|
|1904||Mariano Pangan||Kapitan del Pueblo|
|1905||Mariano Vergara||Kapitan del Pueblo|
|1906–1908||Sisenando Pineda||Presidente Municipal (merged with San Luis)|
|1908–1910||Pablo Cruz||Presidente Municipal (merged with San Luis)|
|1910–1912||Teodoro Punsalan||Presidente Municipal|
|1913–1915||Macario Perez||Presidente Municipal|
|1916–1918||Urbano Guevara||Presidente Municipal|
|1919–1924||Servillano Ibanez||Presidente Municipal|
|1925–1927||Ramon Tuano||Presidente Municipal|
|1935–1936||Catalino Ibanez||Appointed Mayor|
|1937–1938||Domingo Pineda||Appointed Mayor|
|1938–1939||Patrocinio Yabut||Acting Mayor|
|1939–1941||Patrocinio Yabut||Elected Mayor|
|1941–1942||Agustin Sese||Acting Mayor|
|1942–1944||Ramon Ibanez||Appointed Mayor by Japanese|
|1945–1946||Felipe Almario||Appointed Mayor|
|1946||Eusebio Francisco||Appointed Mayor|
|1947–1949||Fernando Galang||Appointed Mayor|
|1949–1952||Jose S. Yabut Sr.||Elected Mayor|
|1953–1956||Gregorio M. Santillan Sr.||Elected Mayor|
|1957–1960||Jose S. Yabut Sr.||Elected Mayor|
|1961–1968||Cornelio S. Sanga||Elected Mayor|
|1969–1975||Lamberto Punsalan||Elected Mayor|
|1976–1979||Ruben Dagdag||Assumed the post being Vice Mayor at the time. (Mayor Punsalan was killed)|
|1980–1986||Jose Yabut Jr.||Elected Mayor|
|1986–1988||Gaudencio Pineda||Appointed Mayor|
|1988–1998||Manuel S .Bondoc||Elected Mayor|
|1998–2001||Azor L. Sitchon||Elected Mayor|
|2001–2010||Rodrigo Miranda Canlas||Elected Mayor|
|2010–present||Leonora Wong||Elected Mayor|
For elementary and high school education, residents of San Simon are served by thirteen elementary schools, two barangay public high schools, and three private schools. For Example:
- Assumpta Technical High School (ATHS)
- Pampanga Central High School (PCHS)
- St. Augustine Institute of Pampanga (SAIP)
- San Simon High School (SSHS)
- San Pedro Elementary School (SPES)
- San Pedro National High School (SPNHS)
- Next Generation Technological College
For telecommunications, the town is served by Digitel, PLDT, PILTEL, DATELCOM, SMART, and GLOBE. Another wireless internet service provider is COMCLARK SureStream. There is no mobile signal in San Pablo Libutad Atbambana.
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Pampanga". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region III (Central Luzon)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region III (Central Luzon)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903–2007). "Region III (Central Luzon)". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.
- "Province of Pampanga". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to San Simon, Pampanga.|