San Vicente, Northern Samar
Map of Northern Samar with San Vicente highlighted
|Region||Eastern Visayas (Region VIII)|
|District||District of Northern Samar|
|• Mayor||Tito M. Luñeza|
|• Total||15.8 km2 (6.1 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||500/km2 (1,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)55|
San Vicente is a sixth class municipality in the province of Northern Samar, Philippines. It is an island-municipality composed of seven islands of the Naranjo Island Group: Sila, Tarnate, Sangputan, Panganoron (Medio), Mahaba (Rasa), Maragat (San Andres) and Destacado where the town proper is located. Destacado island is in the southernmost part of the group of islands comprising the municipality.
The island municipality of San Vicente consists of six major islands; Destacado, Panganoron, Mahaba, Maragat, Sila, Tarnate, Sangputan. The islands of Panganoron, Mahaba, Maragat, Sila Tarnate and Sangputan form a circle of island group while Destacado lies in the far south of the group. The seat of government and town center is located in Destacado Island which separated several nautical miles from the rest of the group. Other smaller islands also form part of the municipality of San Vicente.
San Vicente is politically subdivided into 7 barangays.
- Destacado Poblacion (Barangay 2)
- Maragat (Maragat Island)
- Mongol Bongol Poblacio (Barangay 1)
- Punta Poblacion (Barangay 3)
- Sila (Sila Island)
|Population census of San Vicente|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
Since San Vicente is an island municipality, the primary source of income is fishing. Tourism is an untapped potential source of livelihood and jobs but it is undeveloped. The islands of Sila, Tarnate, Sangputan, Panganoron, Maragat, Mahaba boast of white sand beaches. At Sila island, a pink sand beach is tucked on its coast.
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007). "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City and Municipality. NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- "Province of Northern Samar". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- ELGU Website of San Vicente Archived 25 April 2005 at the Wayback Machine.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
|Samar Sea / Capul|
|Batuan, Masbate / Samar Sea|
|Dimasalang, Masbate / Samar Sea||Samar Sea / Tagapul-an, Samar|