|• Mayor||Kamyab Shadman|
|Elevation||1,538 m (5,046 ft)|
|Time zone||IRST (UTC+3:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||IRDT (UTC+4:30)|
Sanandaj pronunciation (help·info) (Persian: سنندج) At the 2016 census, its population was 232,330  Sanandaj is the capital of Kordestan province at Iran. Sanandaj is the sixty-third largest city in Iran. Sanandaj is not old and was founded about 200 years ago, yet under its short existence it has grown to become a center of Kurdish culture.
The population of Sanandaj is mainly Kurdish. The city also had an Armenian minority who gradually emigrated from the city. Until the Iranian Revolution (1979), the city had a small Aramaic-speaking Jewish community of about 4,000 people. The city boasted a sizable Assyrian community that spoke a unique dialect of Aramaic called Senaya. The economy of Sanandaj is based upon the production of carpets, processed hides and skins, milled rice, refined sugar, woodworking, cotton weaving, metalware and cutlery.
Under the Iranian revolution Komalah took control over the city under a brief period of time.
- "آمار جمعیتی شهرستان سنندج :: فرمانداری سنندج".
- Geoffrey Khan, The Jewish Neo-Aramaic Dialect of Sanandaj, Piscataway NJ: Gorgias Press, p. 1.
- Sanandaj Encyclopedia Britannica, retrieved 16 July 2014.
- "کردستان از نظر نرخ بیکاری در جایگاه دوم کشور قرار گرفت". yjc.ir. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- "سرمایهگذاری در صنعت و معدن کردستان، 4 برابر کمتر از متوسط کشوری است". sanayenews.com. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sanandaj.|