|Sancheong and Hamyang massacre|
South Gyeongsang, South Korea.
|Date||7 February 1951|
|Target||Communist sympathizer civilians|
|Perpetrators||Syngman Rhee capitalist forces|
The Sancheong and Hamyang massacre (Korean: 산청・함양 양민학살 사건, Hanja: 山清・咸陽良民虐殺事件) was a massacre conducted by a unit of the South Korean Army 11th Division during the Korean War. On 7 February 1951, 705 unarmed citizens in Sancheong and Hamyang, South Gyeongsang district of South Korea were killed. The victims were civilians and 85% of them were women, children and elderly people. The 11th Division also conducted the Geochang massacre two days later. The division's commanding general was Choe Deok-sin.
On 7 November 2008, a memorial park for the victims was established in Sancheong.
- ‘산청·함양 양민학살’ 책 펴낸 강희근 교수. Hankyoreh (in Korean). 2005-02-13. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- ‘산청·함양 양민학살 사건’ 학술심포지움 ‘거창사건특별법’과오 짚는다. 경남도민일보 (in Korean). 2004-08-03. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- ‘산청·함양 양민학살’ 책 펴낸 강희근 교수. newstoday21 (in Korean). 7 November 2008. Archived from the original on 22 July 2011. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "Records throw light on modern Korea's history Detailed archival documents found at government offices". JoongAng Daily. 2006-02-21. Retrieved 2010-07-22.
- 산청 시천면 양민학살, 어떤 사건인가? 아녀자, 어린이 대부분...알려진 산청 함양사건과는 별개 출처 : 산청 시천면 양민학살, 어떤 사건인가? - 오마이뉴스. Ohmynews (in Korean). 2000-05-16. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- (in Korean) 산청 시천면 양민학살, 어떤 사건인가? 아녀자, 어린이 대부분...알려진 산청 함양사건과는 별개출처:산청 시천면 양민학살, 어떤 사건인가? - 오마이뉴스 OhmyNews 16 May 2000