Bishop of St Germans
The title is used by suffragan bishops of the Church of England, and is currently used by a suffragan bishop of the Diocese of Truro. In the Roman Catholic Church, Sanctus Germanus is a titular see, used as the title for a bishop who is not in charge of a diocese.
The title takes its name after St Germans, a large village in Cornwall. In the 10th and 11th centuries, St Germans Priory was effectively the seat for the bishopric of Cornwall. In 1043, dioceses of Cornwall and Crediton merged under one bishop, and eventually they moved to Exeter in 1050.
List of Anglican bishops
|Bishops of St Germans|
|1974||1979||Richard Rutt||Translated to Leicester|
|1979||1985||Br Michael (Fisher) SSF|
|1985||1992||Richard Llewellin||Translated to Dover|
|1993||1999||Graham James||Translated to Norwich|
|2013||present||Chris Goldsmith|| Consecrated 14 May, installed 19 May 2013.|
List of Catholic bishops
|Bishops of Sanctus Germanus|
|12 Feb 1970||10 Dec 1970||Pierre-Marie Théas||Resigned|
|2 Feb 1972||31 Oct 1974||James Joseph McGuinness||Succeeded to the See of Nottingham, of which he was Bishop Coadjutor|
|24 Jan 1976||27 Apr 2013||Joseph Peter O’Connell||Died|
|31 Mar 2014||present||Nicholas Gilbert Hudson||Auxiliary Bishop in Westminster|
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (100th ed.). London: Church House Publishing. 2007. p. 948. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- Annuario Pontificio 2010, 'Sedi Titolari', p.967.
- St Germans Group Parish Archived July 9, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved on 10 June 2008.
- St Germans Church, Cornwall. Retrieved on 10 June 2008.
- "New Bishop of St Germans announced". BBC. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- "Mgr Nicholas Hudson appointed as new Auxiliary Bishop for Westminster". Diocese of Westminster. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- "St Germans, Cornubiensis (Titular See)". Catholic Hierarchy. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
|This Anglicanism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|