|Directed by||N Lingusamy|
Dhaval Jayantilal Gada
Akshay Jayantilal Gada
|Written by||Brinda Sarathy|
|Music by||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Cinematography||K. A. Sakthivel|
|Edited by||Praveen K. L.|
|Distributed by||Lyca Productions|
Sandakozhi 2 (English: Battle Rooster 2) is a 2018 Indian Tamil action thriller film written and directed by N. Linguswamy. A sequel to the successful Sandakozhi (2005), the film features Vishal for his 25th film, with Keerthi Suresh, Varalaxmi Sarathkumar, and Rajkiran in the lead roles. The film began production during September 2017 and was released on 18 October 2018
The film begins seven years later after the events which occurred in the prequel Sandakozhi. Villagers plan to conduct a temple festival after seven years. Durai Ayya (Rajkiran) ensures that the festival goes on smoothly as there could be trouble from Pechi (Varalaxmi Sarathkumar) and her brothers. A small flashback is shown where Pechi’s husband (Kabali Vishwanth) gets killed in a fight, for which she wants to hunt down the entire clan of the murderer as revenge. Everyone is killed except for Anbu (Hari Krishnan), who is saved by Durai. Pechi waits for an opportunity to kill Anbu. The flashback ends there. Balu (Vishal) returns from abroad after seven years to his hometown and understands the situation in his village. Pechi sets stage to kill Anbu during the temple festival, and he is saved by Balu. Meanwhile, there is Sembaruthi (Keerthy Suresh), whose activities remind Balu of his ex-lover Hema (Meera Jasmine) who passed away. Balu falls for Sembaruthi, for which she reciprocates. One day, Pechi’s men try to attack Anbu, but Durai accidentally gets stabbed in his neck. Balu rushes and saves Durai, who receives treatment in his home. Durai requests Balu to not inform the incident to villagers as this would result in fights and would eventually spoil the temple festival. Balu promises his father that he would save Anbu as well as ensure that festival would go on smoothly. Finally, Pechi and Balu meet in an open ground, where Pechi beats up Balu. Balu does not want to hurt a woman and asks her to leave Anbu for which Pechi does not agree. When Pechi was about to kill Anbu with a sickle, her chain gets stuck in a trishul, and she accidentally loses control. Her sickle moves towards her son, but Balu holds the sickle and saves him. Pechi realizes her mistake and decides to spare Anbu.
- Vishal as Balu
- Keerthy Suresh as Sembaruthi
- Varalaxmi Sarathkumar as Pechankarasi (Pechi)
- Rajkiran as Durai Ayya
- Hari Krishnan as Anbu
- Ramdoss as Murugan
- Ganja Karuppu as Durai's servant
- Thennavan as Durai's brother-in-law
- Shanmugarajan as Durai's brother-in-law
- Hareesh Peradi as Karumayi
- G. Gnanasambandam as Sembaruthi's father
- Piraisoodan as Villager
- K. S. G. Venkatesh as Villager
- G. Marimuthu as Villager
- Joe Malloori as Villager
- Mu. Ramasamy as Villager
- T. Ravi as Villager
- Mayilsamy as Drunkard
- Arjai as Pechi's brother-in-law
- Appani Sarath as Pechi's brother-in-law
- Krishna as Pechi's brother-in-law
- Kabali Vishwanth as Pechi's husband
- Nandha Periyasamy
- Saravana Sakthi as Bride
- Stills Vijay
- Ravi Gunna
- Shanthi Mani
- Lal in a special appearance as Kasi (Koti)
- Jhony in a special appearance
- Nobel Paul in a special appearance
- Bhoopathy in a special appearance
Following the release of Anjaan in August 2014, Linguswamy took a brief sabbatical before simultaneously completing two scripts, Yenni Ezhu Naal for actor Karthi and a sequel to his successful Sandakozhi (2005) for Vishal. In December 2014, it was announced that the sequel would be jointly produced by Vishal's Vishal Film Factory and Linguswamy's Thirrupathi Brothers and that production would start in 2015. Thirrupathi Brothers later opted out of production duties after the failure of several of their films meant that they experienced financial constraints. The casting process began in mid-2015, with Rajkiran retained to reprise his role from the original film alongside Vishal, while Soori was signed for a new role and D. Imman was selected as the music composer. Meera Jasmine, who played the leading female role in the 2005 film, was reported to be portraying a cameo role, while the team looked for another actress to play a leading role. Shamili and Akshara Haasan were approached and held discussions for the role in mid-2015, but neither actress was eventually signed on. Sathyaraj was also considered for the role of the lead antagonist, but production delays meant that the actor was not finalised. Despite announcements that the film would begin shoot in August 2015, it failed to take off and Vishal stated in an interview to The Hindu that the film would not happen unless the script was better than the first.
In January 2016, Vishal revealed that production would start in February and that the film would have the city of Madurai as its backdrop. However during late February 2016, Vishal revealed that the film had been cancelled and blamed Linguswamy's lack of commitment towards the project. The move had come after Linguswamy had agreed terms to work on a bilingual film starring Allu Arjun for Studio Green, without sorting out dates with Vishal. In a turn of events in June 2016, Vishal stated that the film had been revived and that cinematographer Madhi and composer Yuvan Shankar Raja had also joined the project, replacing Imman. In due course, Linguswamy delayed his project with Allu Arjun and resumed scripting for Sandakozhi 2. The team held discussions with more actresses about the lead role, first approaching Manjima Mohan, before Keerthy Suresh was finalised in December 2016. The shoot was meant to start in January 2017 but was delayed further when Vishal chose to prioritise his commitments to filming for Mysskin's Thupparivaalan (2017). Hareesh Peradi and Varalaxmi Sarathkumar were recruited in mid-2017 to portray negative roles, with the latter appearing as the wife of one of three antagonists in the script.
The film was launched with a ceremony in Chennai on 10 August 2017, with the art directors led by Rajeevan, constructing a set resembling a festival at Binny Mills, Chennai. Due to Madhi was busy with other commitments, cinematographer K.A. Shakthivel was roped in. The set at Binny Mills was made to resemble one of Madurai’s key localities with 500 shops and a temple being erected and initial scenes for a song were shot with junior artistes. Despite indications that the lead actors would join by late August, the film's first filming schedule only began on 20 September 2017 at Binny Mills.
|Sandakozhi 2 / Pandem Kodi 2|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||Sep 24, 2018|
|Length||20:16 / 20:19|
|Language||Tamil / Telugu|
|Label||Sony Music India|
|Producer||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Yuvan Shankar Raja chronology|
|1.||"Kambathu Ponnu"||Yegathasi||Yuvan Shankar Raja||3:35|
|2.||"Meesa Vecha Vetaikaaran"||Arun Bharathi||Mahalingam||4:44|
|3.||"Alalaa"||Madhan Karky||Kailash Kher||3:48|
|4.||"Sooriyarum Sooriyanum"||Brinda Sarathy||Yuvan Shankar Raja||2:38|
|5.||"Sengarattan Paaraiyula"||Arivumathi||Ramani Ammal, Senthil Das||3:25|
|6.||"Folk Instrumental" (Instrumental)||2:06|
|Telugu track list|
|1.||"Sivangi Pilla"||Chandrabose||Jithin Raj||3:36|
|2.||"Sichubuddi Pillagada"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Senthil Das, Srivardhini||3:25|
|4.||"Sooriyudu Chandurudu"||Bhuvana Chandra||Yuvan Shankar Raja||2:38|
|6.||"Folk Instrumental" (Instrumental)||2:06|
A reviewer at Sify.com described the second half of the film as too dramatic, with a disappointing climax, but praised the film for having a strong father-son story, and for Suresh's "bubbly" performance. The Telugu Version Pandem Kodi 2 collected a distributor share of more than 5 crores in the first weekend
Awards and nominations
|Date of ceremony||Award||Category||Recipient(s) and nominee(s)||Result||Ref.|
|16 December 2018||Behindwoods Gold Medal||Best Actor in Negative role - Female||Varalaxmi Sarathkumar||Won|||
|05 january 2019||Ananda Vikatan Cinema Awards||Best Villain - Female||Varalaxmi Sarathkumar||Won|||
- "Sandakozhi2 release date".
- "SandaKozhi 2 Release date confirmed". moviezac. 10 July 2018 – via www.moviezac.com/.
- Ramanujam, Srinivasa (7 December 2014). "Anjaan and after" – via www.thehindu.com.
- "Sandakozhi 2 - getting ready for another fight ..." www.behindwoods.com.
- Harikumar, Subramanian. "After Anjaan debacle, director Lingusamy to work with Karthi and Vishal!".
- Harikumar, Subramanian. "Producer Lingusamy: I'm ready to sell anything to get Sivakarthikeyan's Rajini Murugan out on time!".
- "Shamlee to be roped in opposite Vishal?". 24 July 2015.
- "Soori to play lead comedian in Sandakozhi 2". 18 June 2015.
- "Akshara Haasan approached for 'Sandakozhi 2'". 23 May 2015.
- "Sathyaraj in Sandakozhi sequel?". 26 July 2015.
- Naig, Udhav (30 August 2015). "Not getting into politics: Vishal" – via www.thehindu.com.
- "Vishal's 'Sandakozhi 2' to roll from February". 13 January 2016.
- "Status update on Sandakozhi 2 - Chennai News, Tamil News, Tamil Movie News, Power Shutdown in Chennai, Gold Rate in Chennai, Petrol and Diesel Rate in Chennai". Chennai News, Tamil News, Tamil Movie News, Power Shutdown in Chennai, Gold Rate in Chennai, Petrol and Diesel Rate in Chennai. 2018-05-12. Retrieved 2018-05-12.
- Upadhyaya, Prakash. "Lingusamy opts out of 'Sandakozhi 2'; Vishal lodges complaint at producers' guild".
- "Vishal's Sandakozhi 2 dropped". 25 February 2016.
- "Sandakozhi 2: Vishals film with Lingusamy shelved".
- "Sandakozhi sequel revived!". 29 June 2016.
- "Keerthy Suresh bags Sandakozhi 2!". 16 December 2016.
- "Manjima Clears The Air On Sandakozhi 2".
- "Sandakozhi 2 shooting updates". 24 November 2016.
- "Hareesh Peradi in Sandakozhi 2".
- "Sandakozhi 2 begins with an auspicious pooja".
- "Madurai in Chennai for Sandakozhi 2!". 11 August 2017.
- "Vishal Keerthy Suresh Sandakozhi 2 pooja shooting started - Tamil Movie News - IndiaGlitz".
- "After Thupparivaalan, Vishal starts shoot for Linguswamy's Sandakozhi 2". 20 September 2017.
- "Sandakozhi 2 will also be about father-son bond". Times of India.
- "Sandakozhi 2 Official Trailer". PakkaTv. 14 May 2018.
- "Pandem Kodi 2 Movie First Weekend Collections Report". The Hans India. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- "Sandakozhi 2 Review". Sify Movies.
- "Pandem Kodi 2 Movie First Weekend Collections Report". The Hans India.
- "LIST OF WINNERS FOR BGM ICONIC EDITION".
- "ஆனந்த விகடன் சினிமா விருதுகள் 2018 - திறமைக்கு மரியாதை".