|Location||3210 West Swan Road, |
Caversham WA 6055, Australia
|Known for||Margaret River Cabernet Sauvignon|
|Varietals||Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet franc, Chardonnay, Merlot, Muscadelle, Pedro Ximénez, Riesling, Sauvignon blanc, Semillon, Shiraz, Verdelho|
|Tasting||Open to the public|
Sandalford Wines is a privately owned Australian winery business based at Caversham, in the Swan Valley, the focal point of the Swan District wine region of Western Australia. Sandalford owns and operates wineries and vineyards both in Caversham and at Wilyabrup, in Western Australia's Margaret River wine region.
The company traces its origins back to 1840, when John Septimus Roe, the first Surveyor-General of the Swan River Colony, was granted 1,250 acres (510 ha) on the banks of the Swan River by Queen Victoria, in recognition of his services to the colony.
In the same year, Captain Roe planted Western Australia's first vines at the property, which he named Sandalford after an estate owned by his family on the site of a priory built in 1066. However, winemaking only became a commercial venture at Sandalford after World War II; until then it had been a hobby and a sideline.
Sandalford now also makes the wines marketed under the brand name "Element".
- Forrestal, Peter, ed. (1999). Discover Australia: Wineries. Milsons Point, NSW: Random House Australia. pp. 12–27, 228–233, 247–263. ISBN 0091837898.
- Halliday, James (1985). The Australian Wine Compendium. North Ryde, NSW: Angus & Robertson. pp. 473–477, 490–507, 514–527. ISBN 0207151377.
- Halliday, James (2008). James Halliday's Wine Atlas of Australia (rev. ed.). Prahran, Vic: Hardie Grant Books. pp. 234–239, 262–267. ISBN 9781740666855.
- Jordan, Ray (2002). Wine: Western Australia's Best. Osborne Park, WA: The West Australian. pp. 8–31, 50–99. ISBN 0909699887.
- Simon, André Louis (1966). The Wines Vineyards and Vignerons of Australia. London: Paul Hamlyn. OCLC 52512515.
- Zekulich, Michael (2000). Wine Western Australia (all new ed.). Perth: St George Books. pp. 32–89, 122–235. ISBN 0867780614.
- Zekulich, Michael (2014). Spirit of the Swan: 180 Years of Winemaking in the Swan Valley. Midland, WA: Swan Valley and Regional Winemakers Association. ISBN 9780646923680.
- Sandalford Wines – official site
|This winery-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Western Australia article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|