|Walleye (Sander vitreus)|
Sander (formerly known as Stizostedion) is a genus of fish in the Percidae (perch) family. They are also known as "pike-perch" because of their resemblance to fish in the unrelated Esocidae (pike) family.
Local names for the fish have been the basis for many geographical names, like River Suda in Russia or Saunags village on the Baltic coast.
The genus includes the following 5 species:
- Sander vitreus Mitchill, 1818 (Walleye)
- Sander lucioperca Linnaeus, 1758 (Zander)
- Sander canadensis Griffith & Smith, 1834 (Sauger)
- Sander marinus G. Cuvier, 1828 (Estuarine perch)
- Sander volgensis J. F. Gmelin, 1789 (Volga pikeperch)
|This Percidae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|