March 8, 1990 |
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||210 lb (95 kg)|
|High school:||Augusta (GA) Westside|
|NFL Draft:||2013 / Round: 5 / Pick: 134|
|Career NFL statistics|
Sanders Commings (born March 8, 1990) is an American professional baseball outfielder and former American football cornerback. Prior to his baseball career, he played college football at Georgia and was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the fifth round of the 2013 NFL Draft. Commings is currently a free agent after being released from the Atlanta Braves organization.
Commings was born in Augusta, Georgia. He attended Westside High School in Augusta, and played high school football for the Westside Patriots. As a junior in 2006, he recorded seven interceptions. As a senior in 2007, he missed five games with a cracked fibula but still tallied three interceptions, 41 tackles, 109 rushing yards, 248 receiving yards, and four receiving touchdowns. He also played baseball, where as a senior, he batted .520 with 15 home runs, 40 runs batted in and 18 stolen bases and was a 37th round draft pick of the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 2008 MLB Draft.
While attending the University of Georgia, Commings played for coach Mark Richt's Georgia Bulldogs football team between 2008 and 2012. During his college career, he appeared in 58 games, starting 34 of them, and accumulated 154 tackles (113 solo), six tackles for loss, 17 pass break-ups, and eight interceptions.
On July 23, 2013, Commings fractured his left collarbone during training camp practice and was expected to be sidelined anywhere from two to six weeks. On July 30, 2014, he broke his ankle during training camp, which required surgery. On September 5, 2015, Commings was waived by the Chiefs with an injury settlement.
March 8, 1990 |
In February, Commings signed a minor league deal with the Atlanta Braves. The deal came with a $100,000 signing bonus. After a brief stint with the Danville Braves of the Appalachian League, Commings was released on July 3.
- Sanders Commings (1990-03-08). "Sanders Commings Bio - Georgia Official Athletic Site". Georgiadogs.com. Retrieved 2013-05-27.
- "Chiefs draft Georgia cornerback Sanders Commings". The Kansas City Star. 2013-05-13. Retrieved 2013-05-27.
- Wilson, Ryan (July 23, 2013). "Chiefs rookie Sanders Commings breaks collarbone". CBSSports.com. Retrieved July 29, 2013.
- "Chiefs' roster cut day tracker: Eric Kush, Jarrod Pughsley, Kevin Short waived". The Kansas City Star. Retrieved 2016-01-01.
- Adler, David (February 10, 2017). "Ex-NFL player Commings chasing MLB dream". MLB.com. Retrieved February 10, 2017.
- "Braves sign ex-Bulldogs defensive back". ajc.com. Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- "Former Chiefs S Sanders Commings Signs Minor-League Deal With Braves - NFLTradeRumors.co". nfltraderumors.co. Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- Walls, Dave. "D-Braves outfielder Sanders Commings making transition from NFL to Baseball". WSET. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- "Braves release ex-NFL DB Sanders Commings from minor leagues". ESPN. 2017-07-03. Retrieved 2017-07-04.