Sandhya Srikant Visweswariah
This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sandhya Srikant Visweswariah
|Born||March 6, 1957|
|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Science|
|Sub-discipline||Biochemistry, Cell Biology|
|Institutions||Indian Institute of Science|
|Main interests||Research on signal transduction mediated by cyclic nucleotides|
Sandhya Srikant Visweswariah is a scientist and academic at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India. She is currently the Chairperson of the Department of Molecular Reproduction, Development and Genetics and the Co-chair of the Centre for Biosystems Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Science. She additionally holds the position of Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Bergen, Norway. Her research involves the investigation of the mechanism of signal transduction via cyclic nucleotides, phosphodiesterases and novel cyclases in bacteria. Most recently, she was awarded a Bill and Melinda Gates Grand Challenges Explorations Grant for her proposal entitled "A Small Animal Model of ETEC-Mediated Diarrhea".
Visweswariah completed her Bachelor of Science in 1977 at Osmania University, Hyderabad, majoring in Botany, Chemistry and Zoology. She then obtained a Master of Science degree in Chemistry from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur in 1980. She proceeded to enrol at the PhD programme at the Department of Biochemistry, Indian Institute of Science and was awarded her doctorate in 1987.
Visweswariah started her career as a Post-Doctoral Fellow at Astra Research Centre, Bangalore in 1987-1988. After a year at the Astra Research Centre, she was promoted to a scientist position at the same organization, where she stayed on until 1993. In 1993, she was appointed as Assistant Professor at the Department of Molecular Reproduction, Development and Genetics, Indian Institute of Science, where she has held a position since, being promoted to Associate Professor in 1995 and then to Professor in 2005. She is currently the Chairperson of the Department of Molecular Reproduction, Development and Genetics, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and Co-chair of the Centre for Biosystems Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Science. Over the course of 23 years as faculty at the Indian Institute of Science, Visweswariah has mentored more than 25 PhD students.
Membership in professional bodies and editorial boards
Visweswariah is a fellow of the Indian National Science Academy and the Indian Academy of Sciences: Third World Organisation for women in science. She is a life member of the Society of Biological Chemists (India), Indian Society of Cell Biology (1995–present) and the Society of Research in Reproduction, India (1994–present). Additionally, she is a member of Guha Research Council, India (1997–present), the Alliance for Cell Signalling (1997–present), the TB Structural Genomics Consortium, the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB), and the American Society for Microbiology (ASM).
She serves as the Editorial Board Member of the Journal of Receptors and Signal Transduction, Tuberculosis, Physiology Reports, FEMS Microbiological Letters and PeerJ and an Associate Editor of Frontiers in Cellular Endocrinology.
Awards and fellowships
- Gold Medal in Botany, B.Sc. 1978.
- Indian National Science Academy Medal for Young Scientists, 1988.[permanent dead link]
- Awarded a Short-Term Associateship by the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India[permanent dead link][better source needed] for a three-month visit to University of Missouri at Columbia, United States, 1998.
- Recipient of Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP) Short Term Fellowship (2002) to visit University of California, Berkeley in the laboratory of Prof. John Kuriyan.
- Awarded the Central Drug Research Institute Award for Excellence in Drug Research, 2005.
- Recipient of YT Thathachari Award 2009.
- Recipient of a Royal Society International Joint Project with Dr. Roger Buxton, National Institute for Medical Research, UK, London, 2008-2011.
- Fulbright-Nehru Senior Research Fellowship, 2011-2012, spent at the lab of Dr. Sabine Ehrt, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York City, United States.
- AstraZeneca Research Chair Professor, Indian Institute of Science, August 2012-2015.
- JC Bose Fellow, 2013–present.
- Recipient of a Bill and Melinda Gates Grand Challenges Explorations Grant, 2014.
- In 2018, she became the fellow of TWAS.
Visweswariah has 95 publications in peer-reviewed journals and 5 book chapters to her credit, with a total citation count of over 1600 and an h-index of 25. The full list of publications from the Visweswariah lab can be found on Pubmed and ResearchGate.These are some of the selected publications of Visweswariah.
- Samanta et al (2017) Mycobacterial phenolic glycolipid synthesis is regulated by cAMP-dependent lysine acylation of FadD22 Microbiology 163: 373-382
- Sathyanarayana et al (2016) The Solvent-Exposed C-Terminus of the Cytolysin A Pore-Forming Toxin Directs Pore Formation and Channel Function in Membranes. Biochemistry 55: 5952-5961
- Müller. T., Rasool, I., et al (2015) Congenital secretory diarrhoea caused by activating germline mutations in GUCY2C. Gut doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2015-309441
- Basu et al (2014) Intestinal cell proliferation and senescence is regulated by receptor guanylyl cyclase C and p21 J. Biol. Chem. 289: 581-93
- Fiskerstand, T., Arshad et al (2012) Familial Diarrhea Syndrome caused by an activating GUCY2C mutation. N. Engl. J. Med. 366: 1586-95
- "Molecular Reproduction, Development and Genetics at IISc".
- "bsse · iisc". www.be.iisc.ernet.in.
- "Faculty of Medicine".
- "University of Bergen". University of Bergen.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-22. Retrieved 2016-07-16.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "About Grand Challenges - Grand Challenges". gcgh.grandchallenges.org.
- "A Small Animal Model of ETEC-Mediated Diarrhea - Grand Challenges". gcgh.grandchallenges.org.
- "Sandhya's gusto for guts and affirmative action". The Life of Science. 2018-09-28. Retrieved 2019-02-16.
- "Osmania University". www.osmania.ac.in. Archived from the original on 2014-05-16. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- "Department of Biochemistry". biochem.iisc.ernet.in.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-10-26. Retrieved 2017-11-08.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Molecular Reproduction, Development and Genetics at IISc". www.mrdg.iisc.ernet.in.
- "Loop | Sandhya Srikant Visweswariah". loop.frontiersin.org. Retrieved 2019-02-16.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-08-17. Retrieved 2016-07-16.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- [dead link]
- "Fellowship - Indian Academy of Sciences". www.ias.ac.in.
- "List of Life Members" (PDF). iisc.ernet.in.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-08-16. Retrieved 2016-07-16.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Test Page for the Nginx HTTP Server on Fedora". afcs.lbl.gov.
- "ASBMB". www.asbmb.org.
- "Tuberculosis". www.journals.elsevier.com.
- "Physiological Reports - Wiley Online Library". physreports.physiology.org.
- "FEMS Microbiology Letters - Oxford Academic". OUP Academic.
- "Cellular Endocrinology".
- "Kuriyan Lab". jkweb.berkeley.edu.
- "Annual report" (PDF). hfsp.org. 2002. p. 63. Archived (PDF) from the original on 17 June 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-07-22. Retrieved 2016-07-16.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-02-16. Retrieved 2016-07-16.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "IISc., TIFR scientists receive Thathachari Award". 4 April 2010 – via www.thehindu.com.
- "MRC National Institute for Medical Research, London". 9 July 2011. Archived from the original on 9 July 2011.
- "Fulbright-Nehru Senior Research Program". www.usief.org.in.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-12-16. Retrieved 2016-07-16.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Ehrt, Sabine". vivo.med.cornell.edu.
- "Weill Cornell Medicine". weill.cornell.edu.
- "Intensification of Research in High Priority Area (IRHPA): Science and Engineering Research Board, Established through an Act of Parliament: SERB Act 2008, Department of Science & Technology, Government of India". www.serb.gov.in.
- "Visweswariah, Sandhya". TWAS. Retrieved 2019-02-16.
- IIT Kanpur [@iitkanpur] (20 February 2018). "#IITK Alumni in News #IISC #TWAS #Fellowship Prof. Sandhya S. Visweswariah (MSc2/CHM/1980), Professor and Chair of Molecular Reproduction, Development and Genetics, IISc, Bangalore, has been elected as a fellow of 'The World Academy of Sciences' (TWAS) 2018" (Tweet). Retrieved 24 February 2019 – via Twitter.
- pubmeddev. "sandhya s visweswariah - PubMed - NCBI". www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.
- "India Alliance". www.indiaalliance.org. Retrieved 2019-02-16.
- "Sandhya Visweswariah - PhD - Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru - IISC - Department of Molecular Reproduction Development and Genetics". www.researchgate.net.
- "Publications". www.mrdg.iisc.ernet.in. Retrieved 2019-02-16.
- "Molecular Reproduction, Development and Genetics at IISc". Retrieved 2019-02-16.