Sandilands tram stop
|Fare zone||London fare zones 3, 4, 5 and 6|
|Opened||10 May 2000|
|2009–10||1.224 million total boardings and alightings|
|2010–11||1.180 million total boardings and alightings|
Sandilands tram stop is a light rail stop in the London Borough of Croydon in the southern suburbs of London. It serves the residential area along Addiscombe Road to the east of the centre of the town of Croydon.
Immediately to the east of the tram stop, the line descends in cutting to a junction with the trackbed of the former Woodside and South Croydon Railway. To the west of the stop, the line runs alongside Addiscombe Road on a reserved track as far as the junction with Chepstow Road. From Chepstow Road the line runs within Addiscombe Road, sharing road space with buses and local traffic.
The area of Sandilands tram stop was one of the few places where property demolition was needed during the construction of Tramlink, in order to make way for both the stop and the cutting link to the former railway line.
Early in the morning of 9 November 2016, seven people died and more than 50 were injured when a tram derailed and rolled over at Sandilands junction, 150 metres (490 ft) southeast of the tram stop where two lines converge with a sharp bend, after having just passed through Sandilands Tunnel.
|Preceding tram stop||Tramlink||Following tram stop|
Wimbledon to Beckenham Junction
towards Beckenham Junction
Wimbledon to Elmers End
towards Elmers End
towards West Croydon
New Addington to Croydon town centre
towards New Addington
- "Tram Stop Usage 2009-10 (FOI)" (XLS). Tramlink annual passenger performance 2009-2010. Transport for London. 18 August 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Tramlink numbers 2010-2011" (PDF). Tramlink annual passenger performance 2010-2011. Transport for London. 28 March 2012. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Buses and trams from Addiscombe Road" (PDF). TfL. 14 February 2015. Retrieved 3 June 2021.
- "TQ3365 : Sandilands Tramlink stop". geograph.org.uk. 2011.
- "Two trapped and more than 50 injured as tram overturns in Croydon". ITV. 9 November 2016. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "Croydon tram derailment: Police confirm 'some loss of life' as two remain trapped and 50 taken to hospital".
- Media related to Sandilands tram stop at Wikimedia Commons