Sign on gate pillar
|Location||Vauxhall, Merseyside, United Kingdom|
|Closed||Yes (closed and filled)|
|Area||10 acres (4.0 ha), 100 sq yd (84 m2)|
|Width at entrance||70 ft (21 m)|
|Quay length||867 yd (793 m)|
Sandon and Canada Dock Goods railway station was situated adjacent to the dock, and opened by the Midland Railway in 1873. The goods station could be accessed via the Huskisson Goods Tunnel, which was opened by the Cheshire Lines Committee in 1882 and closed in 1969. The goods station continued being used until 21 July 1969, and was later demolished. Sandon Dock railway station, between the dock and the goods station, was opened by the Liverpool Overhead Railway in 1893 and was closed before May 1896.
When Sandon Half Tide Dock was created at the turn of the 20th century, the remaining area was enclosed as Sandon Dock.
After trade decreased, the dock became derelict and was then converted to use as a fish farm. The dock was filled in 1989, with the site redeveloped as a sewage treatment plant and pumping station.
- "Sandon Dock". Liverpool History Online. Archived from the original on 16 January 2009. Retrieved 20 April 2008.
- Baines 1859, Part II, p. 83
- Baines 1859, Part II, p. 116
- Trading Places: A History of Liverpool Docks (Sandon Dock), Liverpool Museums, archived from the original on 28 October 2008, retrieved 20 April 2008
- "Sandon & Canada Dock Goods Station". Disused Stations. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "Site Name: Huskisson Goods - Sandon & Canada Dock Goods Branch Tunnel". Subterranea Britannica. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "Station Name: Sandon Dock". Disused Stations. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- Woolley 1989, pp. 40-41
- Pollard & Pevsner 2006, p. 279
- Baines, Thomas (1859). Liverpool in 1859. London: Longman & Co. OCLC 43484994.
- Pollard, Richard; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2006). Lancashire: Liverpool and the South West. Yale University Press. ISBN 9780300109108. OCLC 63396571.
- Woolley, Peter W. (1989). Liverpool. Volume 2: A Portrait of the Docks and River Mersey. S. B. Publications. ISBN 9781870708173. OCLC 834469835.
- McCarron, Ken; Jarvis, Adrian (1992). Give a Dock a Good Name?. Birkenhead: Merseyside Port Folios. pp. 83–84. ISBN 9780951612941. OCLC 27770301.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sandon Dock.|