|Sandor Ellix Katz|
Sandor Katz doing a fermentation workshop at the Monticello Heritage Harvest Festival, 12 September 2015
|Born||1962 (age 55–56)|
|Known for||Food writer focusing on DIY fermentation|
|Notable work||Wild Fermentation (2003)|
The Art of Fermentation (2012)
A self-described "fermentation fetishist", Katz has taught hundreds of food workshops around the United States, and his book Wild Fermentation (2003) has been called a classic, "the bible for people embarking on DIY projects like sourdough or sauerkraut", and "especially notorious for getting people excited about fermenting food". He was named one of Chow magazine's top trendsetters and rabble-rousers in 2009.
Born to a Jewish family with origins in Belarus, Katz grew up in New York City. He is openly gay, an AIDS survivor, and began his fermentation experimentation while living in a rural, off-the-grid Radical Faerie community in Tennessee.
Katz was the subject of the 2009 punk rock song "Human(e) Meat (The Flensing of Sandor Katz)", a satirical vegan response to Katz's 2006 chapter on "Vegetarian Ethics and Humane Meat" in The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved.
- Katz, Sandor (1995). Anne Frank: Voice of Hope. (Junior World Biographies). Chelsea House Publishers. ISBN 0-7910-2120-3.
- Katz, Sandor (1996). Whoopi Goldberg: Performer with a Heart. (Junior Black Americans of Achievement). Chelsea House Publishers. ISBN 0-7910-2396-6.
- Katz, Sandor (2003). Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods. ISBN 1-931498-23-7.
- Katz, Sandor Ellix (2006). The Revolution Will Not be Microwaved: Inside America's Underground Food Movements. White River Junction, Vt.: Chelsea Green Publ. ISBN 1933392118.
- Katz, Sandor (2012). The Art of Fermentation: An In-Depth Exploration of Essential Concepts and Processes from Around the World. Chelsea Green Publishing Company. ISBN 978-1603582865.
- "An interview with underground foodie hero Sandor Katz". Grist Magazine. 17 May 2007. Retrieved 30 July 2009.
- "On the Hunt for Wild Yeast: Chatting with home fermentation expert Sandor Ellix Katz". CHOW Magazine. 18 March 2009. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- "The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved: An Interview with Sandor Ellix Katz". Healing the Earth radio. 15 August 2007. Retrieved 30 July 2009.
- Lessley Anderson (2 November 2009), The CHOW 13: Sandor Katz, p. 10
- "Pickling Pioneer Preaches Gospel of Fermentation". The Scroll. 19 September 2014. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- Sandor Katz (2006), The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved, Chelsea Green Publishing, p. 95, ISBN 1-933392-11-8
- Katz, Sandor. "Who Is Sandorkraut?".
- Winborn, George (30 May 2008), "Fermentation Fervor" (PDF), Just Out, p. 43[permanent dead link]
- TEDx Talk
- wildfermentation.com, Sandor Katz's official site
- Sandorkraut, a portrait of Sandor Katz (2014, 12 min)
- "How the Farm Bill Affects What We Eat: with guests Michael Pollan, Dr. Marion Nestle and Sandor Ellix Katz" (Podcast). NPR Science Friday. 10 August 2007. Retrieved 30 July 2009.[permanent dead link]
- Zeichner, Walter. Fermented Foods Carry Culture and Health (archived 2014). Out in the Mountains.