Sandra Lee (dermatologist)
|Born||December 20, 1970|
Flushing, New York, U.S.
|Education||University of California, Los Angeles (BS)|
Drexel University (MD)
Sandra Lee (born December 20, 1970), also known as Dr. Pimple Popper, is an American dermatologist operating out of Upland, California. In 2010 Lee began uploading videos to YouTube but did not begin to heavily post content until 2015, after she noticed the popularity of her Instagram videos of skin extractions. In exchange for written client permission to record and post content, Lee offers patients discounted or free treatment.
In 2017, Lee launched her own line of skin care products, SLMD Skincare Products. Products in the line include acne cleanser and lotion, clarifying treatment with retinol, and daily moisturizer. Prior to this Lee also sold comedone extractors and other merchandise branded with the name of her channel.
In 2018, Lee signed with TLC to have her own Dr. Pimple Popper TV series, which premiered on July 11. A special Christmas episode of Dr. Pimple Popper aired on December 13, 2018. Season 2 of Dr. Pimple Popper premiered in January 2019.
Early life and education
Sandra Lee was born in Flushing, New York on December 20, 1970 to Chinese parents; her father, a retired dermatologist, is Chinese Singaporean while her mother is Malaysian Chinese. Both of her parents were one of 10 children in their family, and they had lived in poverty. Her parents migrated to New York in 1969, and the family moved to Southern California when she was five years old.
Lee attended UCLA as an undergraduate student. During this time, she worked part-time as a medical assistant for an allergist in Downtown Los Angeles. After her graduation at UCLA, she attended medical school at the Drexel University College of Medicine and graduated in 1998. Lee completed her dermatology residency at Southern Illinois University. After her residency finished, she traveled to San Diego to further her experience with laser, dermatological, and cosmetic surgery. Lee now resides in her hometown of Upland alongside her husband, Dr. Jeffrey Rebish, and currently works at Skin Physicians & Surgeons.
Lee is a board certified dermatologist and a member of the American Academy of Dermatology, the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, and the American Society for Mohs Surgery.
Lee is followed by over 5.4 million people (as of June 2019) on her YouTube channel, with total viewers being one billion and counting. On August 14, 2018, she made a guest appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live!.
- "Dr Pimple Popper will squeeze you now". Metro Newspaper UK. Retrieved 2017-12-15.
- "Dr Pimple Popper: 'My videos make people happy'". NewsComAu. Retrieved 2017-12-15.
- "Platzende Pickel: Eine Hautärztin als Youtube-Star". DER STANDARD (in German). Retrieved 2017-12-15.
- "Meet the Internet's Most Famous Pimple-Popping Dermatologist". The Cut. 2016-03-09. Retrieved 2017-12-15.
- "The most notorious doctor on the internet has launched a skincare range". The Independent. 2017-03-09. Retrieved 2017-12-15.
- "Here Are All of The Products In Dr. Pimple Popper's New Acne Line". Cosmopolitan. 2017-03-03. Retrieved 2017-12-15.
- "You can now buy Dr. Pimple Popper's blackhead tweezers online so let the pimple popping sessions BEGIN!". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved 2017-12-15.
- Minton, Melissa (June 15, 2018). "Dr. Pimple Popper Is Getting Her Own TV Series on TLC This Summer [Update]". Allure. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- Steven, Koji (May 12, 2015). "8Questions with Dr. Sandra Lee, AKA: Dr. Pimple Popper". 8Asians. Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- "About Skin Physicians & Surgeons - Upland, CA". SkinPS. Retrieved 2017-12-15.
- "Tracee Ellis Ross, Dr. Sandra Lee, music from CHVRCHES". American Broadcasting Company. August 14, 2018. Retrieved August 17, 2018.