Postel in February 2017
|Residence||Massachusetts, United States|
|Alma mater||Geology and Political Science, Wittenberg University|
|Known for||Freshwater conservation and its sustainable use.|
|Awards||Scientific American 50, 2002|
|Institutions||Global Water Policy Project|
Sandra Postel is the director and founder of the Global Water Policy Project. She is a world expert on fresh water issues and related ecosystems. From 1988 to 1994 she served as the Vice President for Research at the Worldwatch Institute. In 2002, Scientific American magazine named her as one of their "Scientific American 50" to recognise her contribution to science and technology. Postel's work aims to educate and inspire in order to promote the use and management of fresh water in more sustainable ways. She has written many papers on water conservation issues, and has made contributions to television presentations of environmental topics related to freshwater. Sandra is currently a Fellow at the Post Carbon Institute.
Having obtained her first degree, Postel worked as a natural resources consultant with a private firm in Menlo Park, California. In 1983 she joined the Worldwatch Institute, her first project being the compilation of research on worldwide water issues, which was her first opportunity in her professional life to study international water issues. From 1988 to 1994 she served as Vice President for Research. She left the Worldwatch Institute in 1994 to found the Global Water Policy Project. Starting this major project enabled Postel to collate all of her wide-ranging water interests under one umbrella.
Scientific American 50. Postel was honoured for promoting "sweeping changes aimed at preserving the world's dwindling supplies of freshwater."
- "A New Water Story: In Conversation with Sandra Postel". islandpress.org. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Sandra Postel". www.pewtrusts.org. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- Global Water Policy Project, Sandra Postel biography page
- Ecosystem Marketplace, "Sandra Postel: A Life Aquatic"
- Last Oasis: Facing Water Scarcity, W.W. Norton & Co., 1997. ISBN 0-393-31744-7
- Pillar of Sand: Can the Irrigation Miracle Last?, W.W. Norton & Co., 1999. ISBN 0-393-31937-7
- Rivers for Life: Managing Water for People and Nature, Island Press, 2003. ISBN 1-55963-444-8
|This article about an American scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|