Sandro Salsano at the World Economic Forum in Davos in 2016
September 25, 1979|
|Net worth||US$1.1 billion (January 2018)|
Sandro Salsano (born September 25, 1979 in Lecco, Italy) is an Italian billionaire businessman and philanthropist. He is the President and Chairman of Salsano Group and Chairman of Salsano Family Office. The group has investments in global real estate, luxury, private equity, venture capital, financials and technology. He is the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Salsano Shahani Foundation. He sits on the boards of a number of companies. He was named a Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum.
Born in Lecco, Italy, he grew up in Southern Italy (Campania) where he was a professional basketball player until he moved to Milan to study at Bocconi University. His mother was a teacher and his father was employed with the state railways.
Salsano graduated from Bocconi University with full honors with an MBA program from the University of San Diego, California. He also studied at Harvard Business School, INCAE Business School and at Princeton University.
Early business ventures
His first job was at Scottish Widows Investment Partnership in London. He later became a shareholder and partner in an investment bank, and he sold his shares after Goldman Sachs acquired a stake. He co-founded what became one of the largest factoring companies for exporters to Central/Latin America and the Caribbean. He was a shareholder in a UK FCA regulated hedge fund, and he started investing in distressed real estate and technology from a very early age.
Salsano Group of Companies is a venture capital and private equity conglomerate that comprises over 100 companies with equity stakes in sectors like transmedia, social media, smartphone breathalyzer, family locator, data platform, e-commerce, social betting, microRNA detection, luxury mobiles, global consumer, blockchain, parenting tool, music, financials, and global sustainable real estate (ecoprojects, hospitality, industrial, residential, commercial, retail, parking, and land). The Group has a presence in Miami, New York, San Francisco, San Juan, London, Zurich and Shanghai.
The conglomerate disclosed several pre-IPO investments in companies including Uber, Airbnb, Pinterest, Spotify, Palantir, Dropbox, Docusign, Lyft and WeWork. The Group owns over 1,000 ha of land in Panama.
Advisory board members include Dylan Taylor (executive), Global President of Colliers International; Olivia Leland, founding executive director of Giving Pledge and former director of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation; Yan Yanovskiy, founder of First Nation Société Bancaire; Candice Beaumont, Chief Investment Officer at L Investments; and Dr. Andres Simon Gonzalez-Silen, founder of Grupo Venemergencia.
Salsano sits on the board of various companies as a shareholder and as an advisor. In 2016 he joined the Advisory Board of the Family Office Association (FOA). He is on the Steering Committee of 1640society, often referred as the Davos of the Hamptons, together with the Getty, Firestone, Kettering, Pitcairn, Bush, Kennedy and Forstmann families. Salsano is also part of The Milken Institute Young Leaders Circle and a member of the Young Presidents' Organization.
Awards and achievements
He is often featured on media including CNBC, FT, Bloomberg, Forbes, CNN, IlSole24ore, and Corriere della Sera.
He has donated to groups including the William J. Clinton Foundation, Raisa Gorbachev Foundation, Elton John AIDS Foundation (EJAF), Amfar, Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation, Olga Sinclair Foundation, the Prostate Cancer Foundation, and Ofrece Un Hogar.
Sandro is the Chairman for Panama of Global Dignity, an independent, non-political organization. Their project is the universal right of every human being to lead a dignified life. The organization was established in 2006 by Crown Prince Haakon of Norway, John Hope Bryant and Pekka Himanen.
Salsano is also a Fellow at the Aspen Institute, an international nonprofit organization founded in 1950, headquartered in Washington, D.C., with campuses in Aspen, Colorado (its original home) and at the Wye River in Maryland.
Salsano art collection includes pieces from Yves Klein, Amedeo Modigliani, Pablo Picasso, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Henri Matisse, Jackson Pollock, Fernand Leger, Willem De Kooning, Paul Gaugin, Alberto Giacometti, Fernando Botero, Diego Rivera, Damien Hirst, Giorgio De Chirico, Joan Miro, Carlos Cruz-Diez, Liu Bolin, Guillermo Trujillo, Rigoberto Mena, Rene Portocarrero, Olga Sinclair, José Mijares.
He married Johanna Shahani on 14 March 2014 in Panama City.
- "MUNDO SOCIAL SEPTIEMBRE 2012". Mundosocial.net. Archived from the original on November 12, 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- "Salsano Family Office". Salsanofamily.com. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Salsano Shahani Foundation". Salsanoshahani.org. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Panama: The Switzerland of South America?". Video.cnbc.com. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Salsano Shahani Fundation | Estilo de Vida y Moda - Ocean Drive Panamá". Oceandrive.com.pa. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- UK. "Sandro Salsano". The Global Teacher Prize. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "WEF Young Global Leaders trained in leadership for sustainable development at INCAE | News - INCAE Business School". Incae.edu. 2015-02-10. Retrieved 2016-12-10.http://www.panamaon.com/noticias/negocios/8121-grupo-salsano-anuncia-la-adquisicion-de-500-hectareas-de-tierra-en-pacora-total-de-la-negociacion-es-de-un-valor-de-usd-125-millones.html
- "Companies". Salsano Group. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Savelli annuncia un nuovo investitore - Notizie : Distribuzione (#434615)". It.fashionmag.com. 2014-03-21. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "La business woman Nyasulu investe in Savelli - Pambianco News Pambianco News". Pambianconews.com. 2016-10-25. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Salsano Group Drops $125M On Panama Land Tract". Law360. 2016-05-25. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "FOA Advisory Board". Family Office Association. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "The Forum of Young Global Leaders | World Economic Forum". Weforum.org. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "The World Economic Forum". Weforum.org. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- Anette, Liv (2015-09-14). "Sandro Salsano". Global Dignity. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "2009 donors to Clinton foundation". Seattle Times (AP). January 1, 2010. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- Bredt engasjement for Dignity Day i Norge Archived 2011-12-19 at the Wayback Machine. (in Norwegian) Aftenposten, 16 October 2011
- "The Aspen Institute". The Aspen Institute. 2016-12-06. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Salsano Group Commits $15 Million to Promote Land Conservation in Panama - Salsano Group". PRLog. 2016-05-20. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Johanna Shahani & Sandro Salsano". Weddingstylemagazine.com. 2014-03-14. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Astronaut Passenger List Spaceship Two Virgin Galactic". Slideshare.net. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Trip to space with Leonardo DiCaprio nets $1.5M in auction". New York Daily News. 2013-05-24. Retrieved 2016-12-10.