|Date of birth||8 May 2000|
|Place of birth||Lodi, Italy|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 9 November 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 15 October 2019
Tonali made his professional debut for Brescia Calcio on 26 August 2017, aged 17, coming on as a substitute in the Serie B away match lost 2–1 against Avellino. On 28 April 2018 he scored his first professional career goal, in a 4–2 defeat against Salernitana in Serie B. He obtained 19 league appearances in total during his first season as a professional player, scoring two goals and providing two assists during the 2017–18 Serie B season.
He made his Serie A debut on 25 August 2019, aged 19, in a 1–0 away win against Cagliari. On 29 September, he assisted Mario Balotelli's goal from a corner kick in a 2–1 away loss to Napoli; he also scored a goal during the match with a powerful shot from outside the area, which was disallowed by VAR, however, for a foul by Brescia's Dimitri Bisoli on Napoli's Nikola Maksimović. He scored his first Serie A goal on 26 October, netting a superb long-range free kick into the top corner from the left flank, which was the opening goal in an eventual 3–1 away defeat to Genoa.
After appearing for the Italy U21 side in a 0–0 away draw against Ireland on 10 October 2019, in a European qualifier, he was called up to the Italy senior squad once again the following day, for the team's Euro 2020 qualifiers against Greece and Liechtenstein. He made his senior international debut on 15 October, coming on as a substitute in the 5–0 away win against Liechtenstein in Vaduz, and picking up a yellow card.
Style of play
Regarded as a promising young Italian player in his position in the media, Tonali is a regista, and is often likened to Andrea Pirlo – who also started his career with Brescia – in terms of his movement, coordination, appearance, technical qualities, position, and playing style. A strong, energetic, elegant, and creative, midfielder, with excellent vision and an ability to read the game, Tonali usually plays in a central or defensive midfield role as deep-lying playmaker in a 4–3–3 formation, and shows maturity and character beyond his young age. Dictating play for Brescia with his passing in midfield, he set up two goals and even scored two himself in his 19 appearances in Serie B during the 2017–18 season. Although naturally right-footed, he is known for his accurate long passing ability with either foot. In addition to Pirlo, Tonali has also cited Steven Gerrard and Luka Modrić as influences, and has also compared his own playing style to that of Gennaro Gattuso. In July 2019, he was named by UEFA as one of the 50 promising young players to watch for the 2019–20 season.
- As of match played 9 November 2019
- As of 15 October 2019
|Italy national team|
- UEFA European Under-19 Championship Team of the Tournament: 2018
- Serie B Footballer of the Year: 2018
- "Game Report by Soccerway". Soccerway. 26 August 2017.
- Angelo Taglieri (28 April 2018). "Tonali, primo gol in carriera: Juve e Inter lo hanno già chiesto, il Milan..." (in Italian). www.calciomercato.com. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- Nikita Fesyukov (14 October 2018). "Introducing Tonali, 'the next Pirlo' wanted by Sarri and Allegri". www.calciomercato.com. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- Rahaman, Vijay (26 July 2019). "Brescia back in business". Football Italia. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- "Juventus and Milan dealt blow as Brescia will keep Tonali". www.calciomercato.com. 26 August 2019. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- "Napoli 2 - 1 Brescia". Football Italia. 29 September 2019.
- "Juventus held to draw at Serie A struggler Lecce". TSN. 26 October 2019. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "3 subs, 3 goals as Motta's Genoa debut goes to plan". The Score. 26 October 2019. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "Under-19 - Portugal win epic U19 EURO final". UEFA. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- "Nazionale di calcio: Mancini convoca Tonali, Balotelli resta fuori" (in Italian). BsNews. 9 November 2018.
- "A Trieste è pari contro l'Austria: buona la prima mezz'ora dell'Italia ma il match finisce a reti bianche" (in Italian). FIGC. 21 March 2019. Retrieved 16 October 2019.
- "Parte l'avventura europea: Di Biagio ufficializza la lista dei 23 Azzurrini" (in Italian). FIGC. 6 June 2019.
- "Italy promote Tonali to seniors". Football Italia. 11 October 2019. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Historic manita in Liechtenstein". Football Italia. 15 October 2019. Retrieved 16 October 2019.
- "Sandro Tonali" (in Italian). www.tuttocalciatori.net. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- "Agent: 'Tonali better than Pirlo!'". Football Italia. 20 September 2018. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- Angelo Taglieri (30 July 2018). "Inter, Juve e Roma avvisate: per Tonali Cellino studia un affare alla Nainggolan" (in Italian). www.calciomercato.com. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- Amie Wilson (15 February 2018). "6 Serie A Clubs in Battle to Sign 'New Pirlo' Sandro Tonali From Serie B Side Brescia". www.90min.com. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- Gian Paolo Laffranchi (5 February 2018). "Brescia al passo di Tonali in viaggio sulle orme di Pirlo" (in Italian). www.bresciaoggi.it. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- Fabio Pettenò (9 July 2018). "Brescia, rifondazione in atto: cambia più di metà squadra" (in Italian). www.bresciaoggi.it. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- "Chi è Sandro Tonali, il nuovo Pirlo" (in Italian). sport.sky.it. 9 November 2018. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- Piazzola, Andrea (30 October 2018). "Chi è Sandro Tonali, il piccoletto che studia da Pirlo" (in Italian). www.calcionews24.com. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- "Brescia, Tonali: 'I am ready for the Serie A. Pirlo? I am more like Gattuso...'". www.calciomercato.com. 27 July 2019. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- "50 for the future: UEFA.com's ones to watch in 2019/20". UEFA.com. 30 July 2019. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- "Sandro Tonali". Soccerway. Retrieved 29 January 2019.
- "Tonali, Sandro" (in Italian). FIGC. Retrieved 16 October 2019.
- "Under-19 EURO team of the tournament". UEFA. Retrieved 8 February 2019.
- "Gran Galà del calcio AIC 2018: Icardi il miglior giocatore 2017-2018. Tutti i premi" (in Italian). sport.sky.it. 3 December 2018. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- Sandro Tonali at Soccerway
- Sandro Tonali at TuttoCalciatori.net (in Italian)
- Profile at FIGC.it (in Italian)
|This biographical article related to association football in Italy, about a midfielder, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|