Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust
|Type of Trust|
|NHS hospital trust|
|Last annual budget||£436 million|
|Chief Executive||Toby Lewis|
|Website||Sandwell and West Birmingham|
|Care Quality Commission reports||CQC|
Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust is one of the largest National Health Service teaching Trusts in England and comprises Sandwell General Hospital in West Bromwich, City Hospital, Birmingham and Rowley Regis Hospital.
in January 2014 it was reported that the Trust had invested £3 million in creating a new blood sciences laboratory at Sandwell Hospital which processes more than 7,000 samples and produces around 30,000 test results a day. It is designed to fit with the needs of the proposed new Midland Metropolitan Hospital in Smethwick.
The Trust was established on 1 April 2002 following approval given by the Secretary of State for Health to amalgamate Sandwell Healthcare NHS Trust and City Hospital NHS Trust.
In July 2014 it was announced that £353 million would be invested in a new 670-bed acute Midland Metropolitan Hospital covering 16 acres in Grove Lane, Smethwick. £100 million will be provided by the Treasury, the remainder privately. Rowley Regis Hospital in the Tory marginal seat of Halesowen and Rowley Regis would have an expanded role in non-acute, community based care. Carillion's joint venture, the Hospital Company, will build it at a capital cost of £297m and provide hard facilities management and life-cycle maintenance services. The new hospital will have 15 operating theatre suites.
The trust to cut around 1,400 posts between 2015 and 2020 in order to reduce pay costs by £16.1m, though it is recruiting more staff including A&E consultants and nurses.
It agreed in July 2015 to join the Black Country Alliance with Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust and Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust. The plan is to create a jointly owned Company Limited by Guarantee which will enable the three trusts to jointly bid for contracts. There will also be some consolidation of administrative functions like payroll, information technology and estates.
- "£3m invested in hi-tech blood laboratory at Sandwell Hospital". Express and Star. 24 January 2014. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- "Smethwick super hospital on way at last as Chancellor George Osborne agrees to £353m scheme". Express and Star. 15 July 2014. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "Carillion choice for Smethwick hospital". Express and Star. 12 August 2015. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- "200 face jobs axe at Sandwell hospital trust in bid to save £16m". Express and Star. 5 May 2015. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- "Midlands trusts to create £1bn turnover alliance". Health Service Journal. 14 July 2015. Retrieved 24 September 2015.