This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Past members||Marc Abaya|
Sandwich (stylized as <S>andwich in earlier releases) is a Filipino alternative rock band from the Philippines. The band consists of lead vocalist Raimund Marasigan, guitarists Diego Castillo and Mong Alcaraz, bassist Myrene Academia and drummer Mike Dizon.
- 1 History
- 2 Influences
- 3 Band Members
- 4 Discography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 External links
Formation and Grip Stand Throw (1998–2000)
The band formed in 1998 by Raimund Marasigan (former drummer of Eraserheads) and Diego Castillo (The Aga Mulach Experience) for the purpose of fulfilling their mutual desire to work together. When Raimund Marasigan saw The Aga Muhlach Experience in a gig, he told Diego that he wanted to form a band that sounds like Weezer and Whales. He then recruited Diego Castillo and his band mates from The Aga Muhlach Experience - Mike Dizon (Teeth and Pedicab) to play drums, as well as bassist Myrene Academia (Imago & Duster). Sandwich was searching for a vocalist when music video director Marie Jamora recommended her friend Marc Abaya (Kjwan). A few years earlier, Marasigan was a judge at a contest where Marc Abaya jammed to a Beastie Boys song with his high-school band, Shirley Beans. Abaya then joined Sandwich. When Abaya and Marasigan met each other, they jammed together performing Beastie Boys "Sabotage" for 8 hours.
Although existing simultaneously with the Marasigan's band at that time, Eraserheads, Sandwich provided a heavier, grittier sound, and built up their own fan base. Abaya was still in college at the time, and Marasigan would still tour occasionally with the Eraserheads, but these weren’t hindering factors for Sandwich, as there were many session musicians ready to take over in case of a member's absence.
In 1999, they signed with Sony Music and released their debut album, Grip Stand Throw, with much success, thanks to its carrier single, "Butterfly Carnival." The band won three awards at the 1999 NU 107 Rock Awards: Album of the Year, Best New Artist, and Song of the Year.
4-Track Mind (2000–2003)
The following year, Sandwich released their second album 4-Track Mind which was not successful as their debut album. It was honored as Album of the Year at the 2001 NU Rock Awards. The album name came from Marc Abaya's 4-track recorder, which he brought into the studio that contains a demo. Singer Marc Abaya considers this as his most personal album.
Thanks to the Moon's Gravitational Pull and Marc Abaya's Departure (2003–2005)
In 2003, which is the most critical time for the band when Sony Music the band recording label decided to drop them. In 2004, the band took the independent route and recorded their third album Thanks to the Moon's Gravitational Pull. Eventually, they signed with PolyEast Records. The album's hit tracks were "Two Trick Pony", "Masilungan" and "Nahuhulog."
While in Sandwich, Marc Abaya formed the band Kjwan with his long-time friends and former high school band-mates and fellow Ateneans Kelley Mangahas, Jorel Corpus, J-hoon Balbuena. In 2013, Marc stated in an interview on Radio Republic that Raimund told him that Shirley Beans must reform because he thought that Raimund wanted to tell him that some of his materials didn't fit Sandwich. During that time Marc Abaya was having difficulty managing his job as an MTV VJ, and his obligations to his other band, Kjwan.
In 2005, Marc Abaya decided to leave the band due to loaded work. In an interview with Radio Republic, Abaya regrets leaving Sandwich without proper farewell to the band. They remain good friends and they reunite to play a few songs from time to time.
Raimund Marasigan's era & mainstream success
After Abaya's departure, Raimund Marasigan assumed main vocal duties. They remained a 5-piece band by bringing in guitarist Mong Alcaraz from Chicosci. The band wrote songs for soundtracks, including "Humanda Ka" for the online game Tantra, and "Nginig" for the ABS-CBN television program of the same name.
In early 2006, Sandwich released their fourth album, Five on the Floor. This was their first album with Marasigan as the sole frontman. In late October 2006, their songs "Sugod" and "DVDX" became available on the online music game O2Jam. The video for "Sugod" won five major awards at the 2006 MTV Pilipinas Music Awards, including Video of the Year, Best Director, and Best Editing. In the same year, Sandwich members Mong Alcaraz and Myrene Acamedia won the Best Guitarist and Best Bassist awards at the NU Rock Awards. The following year, "DVDX" won the Best Music Video award from the same awards show. The former vocalist Marc Abaya express appreciation of the Five on the Floor album. He cried and happy for his former band and saying that the sound of the fifth album is what sandwich meant to be.
In 2008, their fifth album, <S> Marks the Spot, was released. The album received recognition from various awards shows, thanks to its singles "Procrastinator" and "Betamax." In celebration of their 10th year in the industry, Sandwich briefly reunited with former vocalist Marc Abaya in a series of anniversary shows.
This year also started the 4-year relationship with Tanduay as Sandwich became part of Tanduay's First Five where five of the most popular bands in the country had a nationwide tour playing their hits.
In 2010, Sandwich launched their sixth studio album, Contra Tiempo featuring the single "Putik", which the band dedicates to the victims of Typhoon Ondoy (international name Ketsana). "Lakad" was released as the second single from the album.
2012 was a year where the band had a chance to travel and share their music to different countries. They participated in the Hong Kong Clockenflap Music and Arts Festival, Malaysia's Future Music Festival and the Hollywood Bowl with Apl de Ap of the Black Eyed Peas in Los Angeles, USA.
In April 2013, they released the album, Fat Salt & Flame, under Polyeast Records.
A year after the release of Fat Salt & Flame, they released their 8th album under Polyeast Records entitled Debris. The album design of Debris featured destroyed and disassembled audio electronics like a Fostex cassette track which was first used as album cover for "4 Track Mind" and a Tascam minidisc track used for the production of Sandwich's "Grip, Stand Throw", Squid9's "Ink Jet", and Eraserheads' "Natin99" and "Carbonstereoxide".
In 2014, Sandwich headlined P-Fest UK, performing in Leeds and London, United Kingdom together with other Filipino bands Top Junk, Squid 9, The Diegos, Pedicab (band) and Yano, as well as UK-based Filipino bands.
Sandwich cited influence are Foo Fighters, Weezer, Sonic Youth, Superchunk, Beck, Beastie Boys, Whale, The Cure, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Nine Inch Nails, Korn, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pantera, Deftones and LCD Soundsystem. The band's main influences are Weezer and Whale. During a performance at 19 East in Sucat, Philippines, Raimund mentioned that they want to be awesome like Foo Fighters, indie like Sonic Youth and hip-hop like Beastie Boys. When Marc was the vocalist of the band, he mentioned in the interview that his main influence was Led Zeppelin, Jim Morrison of The Doors. Myrene and Mong also mentioned their admiration for LCD Soundsystem.
- Current members
- Raimund Marasigan - lead vocals, keyboards, additional guitar (1998–present), rhythm guitar, backing vocals (1998-2005)
- Myrene Academia - bass guitar, backing vocals (1998–present)
- Mong Alcaraz - lead guitar, backing vocals, keyboards (2005–present)
- Diego Castillo - rhythm guitar, backing vocals (1998–present)
- Mike Dizon - drums (1998–present)
- Former Member
- Marc Abaya - co-lead, unclean and backing vocals, lead guitar (1998-2005)
- Grip Stand Throw (1999)
- 4-Track Mind (2000)
- Thanks to the Moon's Gravitational Pull (2003)
- Five on the Floor (2006)
- <S> Marks the Spot (2008)
- Contra Tiempo (2010)
- Fat Salt & Flame (2013)
- Debris (2015)
- Tantra Neo Oriental Fantasy (2005)
- Humanda Ka Music Video
- Humanda Ka OST
- Humanda Ka (Minus One)
- Rounin OST (2007)
- "Humanda Ka"
- Nginig OST
- Super Noypi OST
- "Super Noypi"
- Mga Awit Kapuso: The Best Of GMA Themes Vol. 4 (2008)
- Zaido: Pulis Pangkalawakan OST
- Zaido: Pulis Pangkalawakan OST
- Smart Bro Jingle
- A modified version of Sugod for Smart Communications' wireless internet service.
- Coca-Cola Philippines Commercial Jingle
- Buhay Coke (2008) and Open Coca-Cola, Open Happiness (2009)
- Chiz Escudero's Campaign Jingle
- A modified version of Sugod. 
- Frenzy Condoms
- Are We Good
- Cafe Puro
- A modified version of Betamax
- The 2 in 1 Series: Sandwich
- Full Volume (2004)
- "Right Now (Morse Immediate Mix)"
- Pinoy Ako(2005)
- "Humanda Ka"
- Kami nAPO Muna (2006)
- "Bakit Ang Babae"
- CloseUp Season of Smiles Christmas Album (2006)
- "Close Encounter"
- Sakto Sa Pasko Christmas Album (2008)
- "Simbang Gabi"
- I-Star 15: The Best Of Alternative & Rock Songs (2010)
- "Humanda Ka"
- Grip, Stand, Throw
- Butterfly Carnival
- Art To Di Too
- Food for the Soul
- Right Now
- Two Trick Pony
- Humanda Ka (Tantra Soundtrack)
- Walang Kadala-dala
- "Super Noypi" for the movie of the same name.
- "Zaido (Pulis Pangkalawakan)" for the TV Teleserye of the same title.
- Pera Pera
- Back for More
- Border Crossing
Awards and nominations
- Won: Best Performance of a New Duo or Group Recording Artist - "Butterfly Carnival" (2000)
- Won: Best New Artist (1999)
- Won: Song of the Year - "Butterfly Carnival" (1999)
- Won: Album of the Year - Grip Stand Throw and Wolfgang's Serve in Silence (1999)
- Won: Album of the Year - 4-Track Mind (2001)
- Won: Producer of the Year - "Thanks to the Moon's Gravitational Pull" (2004)
- Won: Rock Video of the Year - "Sugod" (2006)
- Won: Best Album Packaging - Five on the Floor (2006)
- Won: Guitarist of the Year - Mong Alcaraz (2006)
- Won: Bassist of the Year - Myrene Academia (2006)
- Won: Best Male Award - Mong Alcaraz (2006)
- Won: Rock Video of the Year - "DVDX" (2007)
- Won: Best Live Act(2008)
- Won: Song of the Year - "Betamax" (2008)
- Won: Favorite Indie Artist (2006)
- Nominated: Favorite Music Video - "Sugod" (2007)
- Nominated: Favorite Song - "Sugod" (2007)
- Nominated: Favorite Artist (2007)
- Nominated: Favorite Rock Video - "Sugod" (2007)
- Nominated: Favorite Group (2007)
- Nominated: Favorite Guest Appearance in a Music Video - Edu Manzano for "DVDX" (2007)
- Won: Favorite Artist (2011)
- Won: Favorite Rock Video - "Lakad" (2011)
- Official website
- Sandwich Facebook page
- Sandwich Instagram page
- EMI Philippines - Sandwich
- Poptimes Magazine Interview
- Sandwich Pinoybanda Profile
- Listen Sandwich music stream
- Sandwich on purevolume
|NU Rock Awards
Best New Artist
|NU Rock Awards
Album of the Year
"Grip Stand Throw"
together with Serve In Silence
"Free (Rivermaya album)"
|NU Rock Awards
Album of the Year