|Labels||Sony (1999 – 2002)
EMI/PolyEast (2004 – present)
|Associated acts||Eraserheads, Kjwan, Pedicab, Squid9, Imago, Cambio, The Teeth, Chicosci, Project 1, Parokya Ni Edgar, Sun Valley Crew, Duster, Gaijin, Shirley Beans, Limelight, Assembly Generals, The Aga Muhlach Experience, Planet Garapata, Blueberry Juice
|Past members||Marc Abaya|
Sandwich •Sandwich (stylized as "< S >andwich" in earlier releases) is a Filipino alternative rock band from Philippines. The band consisted of lead vocalist Raimund Marasigan, Guitarists Diego Castillo and Mong Alcaraz, bassist Myrene Academia and drummer Mike Dizon. The band released 8 albums Grip Stand Throw (1999), 4-Track Mind (2000), Thanks To The Moon's Gravitational Pull (2003), Five on the Floor (2006), <S> Marks the Spot (2008), Contra Tiempo (2010), Fat Salt & Flame (2013), and Debris (2015)
- 1 History
- 2 Grip Stand Throw (1999-2000)
- 3 4-Track Mind (2000-2003)
- 4 Thanks To The Moon's Gravitational Pull & Marc Abaya's Departure (2003-2005)
- 5 Raimund Marasigan's era & Mainstream Success
- 6 Influences
- 7 Band Members
- 8 Discography
- 9 Awards and nominations
- 10 External links
The band formed in 1998 by Raimund Marasigan (former drummer of Eraserheads) and Diego Castillo (The Aga Mulach Experience) for the purpose of fulfilling their mutual desire to work together. When Raimund Marasigan saw The Aga Muhlach Experience in a gig, He told to diego that he want to form a band that sounds like Weezer and Whales recruiting Diego Castillo and his band mates from The Aga Muhlach Experience consist of Mike Dizon (Teeth & Pedicab) to play drums and Myrene Academia (Imago & Duster) to handle bass duties. Sandwich was searching for a vocalist when music video director Marie Jamora recommended her friend Marc Abaya (Kjwan). A few years earlier, Marasigan was a judge at a contest where Marc Abaya jammed to a Beastie Boys song with his high-school band, Shirley Beans. Abaya then joined Sandwich. When Abaya and Marasigan met each other, they jammed together performing Beastie Boys "Sabotage" for 8 hours.
Although existing simultaneously with the Marasigan's foremost band at that time, Eraserheads, Sandwich provided a heavier, grittier sound, and built up their own fan base. Abaya was still in college at the time, and Marasigan would still tour occasionally with the Eraserheads, but these weren’t hindering factors for Sandwich, as there were many session musicians ready to take over in case of a member's absence.
Grip Stand Throw (1999-2000)
In 1999, they signed with Sony Music and released their debut album, Grip Stand Throw, with much success, thanks to its carrier single, "Butterfly Carnival". The band won three awards at the 1999 NU 107 Rock Awards: Album of the Year, Best New Artist, and Song of the Year.
4-Track Mind (2000-2003)
The following year, Sandwich released their second album 4-Track Mind which is not successful as their debut album. It's honored as Album of the Year at the 2001 NU Rock Awards. The album name origin is came from a 4-track recorder, during the process marc abaya brought a 4 track recorder in the studio which contains a demo so the other members brought and record their demo. It is considered as marc abaya's most personal album and his best song ever written.
Thanks To The Moon's Gravitational Pull & Marc Abaya's Departure (2003-2005)
In 2003, which is the most critical time for the band when Sony Music the band recording label decided to drop them, In 2004, the band took the independent route and recorded their third album Thanks To The Moon’s Gravitational Pull, after a lot of work they get signed with PolyEast Records. The bands hit track on that time were "Two Trick Pony", "Masilungan" & "Nahuhulog" and they also released a music video on the track mentioned.
While in Sandwich, Marc Abaya formed the band Kjwan with his long-time friends and former high school band-mates and fellow Ateneans Kelley Mangahas, Jorel Corpus, J-hoon Balbuena. In 2013, Marc stated in a interview on Radio Republic that Raimund told him that Shirley Beans must form again because he thought that raimund wanted to tell him that some of his materials didn't fit for sandwich. During that time Marc Abaya is having a difficult time because of his job as an MTV VJ, and his obligations to his other band, Kjwan.
In 2005, Marc Abaya decided to leave the band due to loaded work. In a interview with Radio Republic, Abaya regret leaving Sandwich without proper farewell to the band. They remain good friends and sometimes they reunite to play a few old song in gigs.
Raimund Marasigan's era & Mainstream Success
After Abaya's departure, Raimund Marasigan assumed main vocal duties when Abaya left, but they remained a 5-piece band as the missing spot was later filled by Mong Alcaraz of the band Chicosci.the band wrote songs for soundtracks, including "Humanda Ka" for the online game Tantra, and "Nginiig" for the ABS-CBN television program of the same name.
In late 2005, Mong Alcaraz of Chicosci joined the band to solidify Sandwich's new sound and assume guitar duties which Abaya had left behind.
In early 2006, Sandwich released their fourth album, Five on the Floor. This was their first album with Marasigan as the sole frontman. In late-October 2006, their songs "Sugod" and "DVDX" became available on the online music game O2Jam. The video for "Sugod" won five major awards at the 2006 MTV Pilipinas Music Awards, including Video of the Year, Best Director, and Best Editing. In the same year, Sandwich members Mong Alcaraz and Myrene Acamedia won the Best Guitarist and Best Bassist awards at the NU Rock Awards. The following year, "DVDX" won the Best Music Video award from the same awards show. The former vocalist Marc Abaya express appreciation of the Five on the Floor album. He cried and happy for his former band and saying that the sound of the fifth album is what sandwich meant to be.
In 2008, their fifth album' <S> Marks the Spot, was released. The album received recognition from various awards shows, thanks to its singles Procrastinator and Betamax. In celebration of their 10th year in the industry, Sandwich briefly reunited with former vocalist Marc Abaya in a series of anniversary shows.
This year also started the 4-year relationship with Tanduay as Sandwich became part of Tanduay's First Five wherein 5 of the most popular bands in the country including 6cyclemind had a nationwide tour playing their hits.
In 2010, Sandwich launched their sixth studio album, Contra Tiempo featuring the single Putik, which the band dedicates to the victims of Typhoon Ondoy (international name Ketsana). Lakad was then released as the second single from the album.
2012 was a year where the band had a chance to travel and share their music to different countries. They participated in the Hong Kong Clockenflap Music and Arts Festival, Malaysia's Future Music Festival and the Hollywood Bowl with Apl de Ap of the Black Eyed Peas in Los Angeles, USA.
In April 2013, they released their newest album, Fat Salt & Flame, under Polyeast Records.
A year after the release of Fat Salt & Flame, they released their 8th album under Polyeast Records entitled Debris. The album design of Debris featured destroyed and disassembled audio electronics, namely a Fostex cassette track which was first used as album cover for "4 Track Mind" and a Tascam minidisc track used for the production of Sandwich's "Grip, Stand Throw", Squid9's "Ink Jet", and Eraserhead's "Natin99" and "Carbonstereoxide".
Sandwich cited influence are Foo Fighters, Weezer, Sonic Youth, Beastie Boys, Whale, The Cure, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Nine Inch Nails, Deftones and LCD Soundsystem. The band main influence are Weezer and Whale. During their gig at 19 east sucat, Raimund mentioned that they want to be awesome like Foo Fighters, Indie like Sonic Youth and Hip hop like Beastie Boys. When Marc was the vocalist of the band, he mentioned in the interview that his main influence was Led Zeppelin, Jim Morrison of The Doors. Myrene and Mong also mentioned they love LCD Soundsystem.
- Current Members
- Raimund Marasigan - lead vocals, keyboards (1998–present), rhythm guitar, backing vocals (1998-2005)
- Myrene Academia - bass guitar, backing vocals (1998–present)
- Mong Alcaraz - lead guitar, backing vocals, keyboards (2005–present)
- Diego Castillo - rhythm guitar, backing vocals (1998–present)
- Mike Dizon - drums (1998–present)
- Former Member
- Marc Abaya - co-lead and backing vocals, unclean vocals, lead guitar (1998-2005)
- Grip Stand Throw (1999)
- 4-Track Mind (2000)
- Thanks To The Moon's Gravitational Pull (2003)
- Five on the Floor (2006)
- <S> Marks the Spot (2008)
- Contra Tiempo (2010)
- Fat Salt & Flame (2013)
- Debris (2015)
- Tantra Neo Oriental Fantasy (2005)
- Humanda Ka Music Video
- Humanda Ka OST
- Humanda Ka (Minus One)
- Rounin OST (2007)
- "Humanda Ka"
- Nginiiig OST
- Super Noypi OST
- "Super Noypi
- Mga Awit Kapuso: The Best Of GMA Themes Vol. 4 (2008)
- Zaido: Pulis Pangkalawakan OST
- Zaido: Pulis Pangkalawakan OST
- Smart Bro Jingle
- A modified version of Sugod for Smart Communications' wireless internet service.
- Coca-Cola Philippines Commercial Jingle
- Buhay Coke (2008) and Open Coca-Cola, Open Happiness (2009)
- Chiz Escudero's Campaign Jingle
- A modified version of Sugod. 
- Frenzy Condoms
- Are We Good
- Cafe Puro
- A modified version of Betamax
- The 2 in 1 Series: Sandwich
- Full Volume (2004)
- "Right Now (Morse Immediate Mix)"
- Pinoy Ako(2005)
- "Humanda Ka"
- Kami nAPO Muna (2006)
- "Bakit Ang Babae"
- CloseUp Season of Smiles Christmas Album (2006)
- "Close Encounter"
- Sakto Sa Pasko Christmas Album (2008)
- "Simbang Gabi"
- I-Star 15: The Best Of Alternative & Rock Songs (2010)
- "Humanda Ka"
- Grip, Stand, Throw
- Butterfly Carnival
- Art To Di Too
- Food for the Soul
- Right Now
- Two Trick Pony
- Humanda Ka (Tantra Soundtrack)
- Walang Kadala-dala
- "Super Noypi" for the movie of the same name.
- "Zaido (Pulis Pangkalawakan)" for the TV Teleserye of the same title.
- Pera Pera
- Back for More
Awards and nominations
- Won: Best Performance of a New Duo or Group Recording Artist - "Butterfly Carnival" (2000)
- Won: Best New Artist (1999)
- Won: Song of the Year - "Butterfly Carnival" (1999)
- Won: Album of the Year - Grip Stand Throw and Wolfgang's Serve in Silence (1999)
- Won: Album of the Year - 4-Track Mind (2001)
- Won: Producer of the Year - "Thanks To The Moon's Gravitational Pull" (2004)
- Won: Rock Video of the Year - "Sugod" (2006)
- Won: Best Album Packaging - Five on the Floor (2006)
- Won: Guitarist of the Year - Mong Alcaraz (2006)
- Won: Bassist of the Year - Myrene Academia (2006)
- Won: Best Male Award - Mong Alcaraz (2006)
- Won: Rock Video of the Year - "DVDX" (2007)
- Won: Best Live Act(2008)
- Won: Song of the Year - "Betamax" (2008)
- Won: Favorite Indie Artist (2006)
- Nominated: Favorite Music Video - "Sugod" (2007)
- Nominated: Favorite Song - "Sugod" (2007)
- Nominated: Favorite Artist (2007)
- Nominated: Favorite Rock Video - "Sugod" (2007)
- Nominated: Favorite Group (2007)
- Nominated: Favorite Guest Appearance in a Music Video - Edu Manzano for "DVDX" (2007)
- Won: Favorite Artist (2011)
- Won: Favorite Rock Video - "Lakad" (2011)
- Official website
- Sandwich Facebook page
- EMI Philippines - Sandwich
- Poptimes Magazine Interview
- Sandwich Pinoybanda Profile
- Listen Sandwich music stream
- Sandwich on purevolume
|NU Rock Awards
Best New Artist
|NU Rock Awards
Album of the Year
"Grip Stand Throw"
together with Serve In Silence
"Free (Rivermaya album)"
|NU Rock Awards
Album of the Year