Sandwich Secondary School
|Sandwich Secondary School|
|7050 Malden Road
LaSalle, Ontario, Ontario, N9J 2T5
|School type||Public High School|
|Founded||1970, building opened 1975|
|School board||Greater Essex County District School Board|
|Area trustee||Ron LeClair|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Colour(s)||Blue and Orange|
|Mascot||Sabretoothed Tiger: Erbas|
Sandwich Secondary School is a school in LaSalle, Ontario. It has about 1100 students, and teaches about half of the students in LaSalle, along with St. Thomas of Villanova Catholic Secondary School. The current principal is Mr. Manny Novelletto and the vice principals are Mr. R. Lepp and Mr. S. Braithwaite. Sandwich Secondary School is part of the Greater Essex County District School Board, or GECDSB. It was named after the former town of Sandwich, which used to encompass the western shores of Windsor, as well as LaSalle.
Prior to the opening of the school building in 1975, high school students in LaSalle were bused to General Amherst High School.
Sandwich Secondary has one of the best track and field complexes in southwestern Ontario. Officially named the Robert C. Carrick Memorial Track, it opened in 1993 at a cost of $1.70 million and includes an 8-lane rubberized all weather track, field house, grandstand, football and soccer field, baseball diamond, track and field event area (shot-put, a discus circle, all weather javelin approach, all weather runways for long jump, triple jump, pole vault), and a concession stand. The complex was named after a police officer who was killed in the line of duty in 1968 and is home to the Sandwich Sabres Men's Football team, which is consistently ranked among the top programs in the province. Sandwich Secondary also has an French immersion program for those coming from French immersion grade schools along with an English public schooling.
Its feeder schools, or family of elementary schools, are Sandwich West Public School, LaSalle Public School, Sacred Heart Roman Catholic School, Prince Andrew Public School, Giles Campus and École Bellewood Public School.
- Richie Hawtin—Electronic Music artist and world-renowned DJ
- Jeff Martin -- vocals, guitar, in the Canadian Rock Group The Tea Party
- Kamau Peterson—CFL player
- Sofia Shinas—Actress
- Christian Vincent—professional dancer, choreographer, actor and model
- Tang Bacheyie—CFL player
- Jeff Burrows -- drums, percussion in the Canadian Rock Groups The Tea Party and Crash Karma
- Stuart Chatwood -- bass, guitar, keyboards, in the Canadian Rock Group The Tea Party
- Joel Hastings—Classical Pianist
- Kylie Masse—Olympic Swimmer
- Danielle Wade—Winner of reality talent competition Over the Rainbow (Canadian TV series)
|This Ontario school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|