This article describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|SpongeBob SquarePants character|
|First appearance||"Tea at the Treedome" (1999)|
|Created by||Stephen Hillenburg|
|Voiced by||Carolyn Lawrence|
|Portrayed by||Lilli Cooper (Broadway)|
|Occupation||Scientist, martial artist|
Sandra Jennifer "Sandy" Cheeks is a fictional character in the American animated television series SpongeBob SquarePants. She is voiced by Carolyn Lawrence and first appeared in the episode "Tea at the Treedome" on May 1, 1999. Sandy was created and designed by marine biologist and animator Stephen Hillenburg, the show's creator.
Role in SpongeBob SquarePants
Sandy is a close friend of SpongeBob SquarePants. She is a proud Texan and speaks in a stereotypical Southern drawl. In order to live underwater, she resides in a bubble-like dome and wears an atmospheric diving suit when outside her house. Sandy is shown to possess a number of tough, tomboyish character traits and interests: she is skilled at karate, bodybuilding, is a rodeo champion, and possesses extraordinary scientific skills such as the ability to construct complex inventions.
The voice of Sandy Cheeks is provided by Carolyn Lawrence. Lawrence got the role of Sandy when she was in Los Angeles at Los Feliz. She met Donna Grillo, a casting director, on a sidewalk. Lawrence was with a friend who knew Grillo, and she said Lawrence had an interesting voice. Grillo brought Lawrence in to audition and she got the part.
Before a recording, Lawrence prepares when the crew sends a storyboard. She explains, "I absolutely love that! Not only do I get to read the script, I can actually see what the artists have in mind. It is an amazing process and I feel so fortunate to be able to work that way![...] I would prefer to let the script come alive in me before a taping."
- First name given in "Patrick SmartPants". Middle name revealed in the SpongeBob SquarePants stage musical.
- "Sandy - Nickelodeon Sweden". MTV Networks Europe. Viacom International. Archived from the original on October 18, 2005.
- Brown, Arthur (2008). Everything I Need to Know, I Learned from Cartoons!. USA: Arthur Brown. p. 85. ISBN 1435732480.
- Writers: Ennio Torresan, Jr., Erik Wiese, Mr. Lawrence (September 25, 1999). "MuscleBob BuffPants". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 1. Episode 11a. Nickelodeon.
- Writers: Luke Brookshier, Nate Cash, Richard Pursel (February 6, 2010). "Rodeo Daze". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 7. Episode 138b. Nickelodeon.
- Writers: Luke Brookshier, Tom King, Steven Banks (May 5, 2006). "Chimps Ahoy". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 4. Episode 70b. Nickelodeon.
- "Carolyn Lawrence: Credits". TV Guide. Retrieved May 22, 2013.
- Basile, Nancy (March 29, 2006). "Voice Behind Sandy Cheeks on SpongeBob". About.com. Archived from the original on May 13, 2013. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- "Carolyn Lawrence Exclusive Interview". The Star Scoop. September 17, 2009. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- "REFANB Interview: Carolyn Lawrence, A.K.A. Ashley Graham". Resident Evil Fan. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- Basile, Nancy. "Carolyn Lawrence Sandy Cheeks on 'SpongeBob SquarePants'". About.com. Archived from the original on May 13, 2013. Retrieved June 14, 2013.