This article describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|SpongeBob SquarePants character|
|First appearance||"Tea at the Treedome" (1999)|
|Last appearance||"Pat the Horse" (2017)|
|Created by||Stephen Hillenburg|
|Voiced by||Carolyn Lawrence|
|Occupation||Scientist, martial artist|
Sandra "Sandy" Cheeks is a fictional character in the long-running Nickelodeon animated television series SpongeBob SquarePants. She is voiced by Carolyn Lawrence and first appeared in the episode "Tea at the Treedome" on May 1, 1999. Sandy was created and designed by Stephen Hillenburg, the show's creator.
Role in SpongeBob SquarePants
Sandy Cheeks is a fictional character in the Nickelodeon cartoon SpongeBob SquarePants. She is known to be an intelligent, scientific, anthropomorphic squirrel who resides in Bikini Bottom and is featured as a close friend of SpongeBob SquarePants. She is from Texas and it is for this reason that she is heard speaking in a stereotypical Texan accent, and is proud of her home state which is frequently brought up throughout the course of the series. She lives in a bubble-like dome under sea that traps air in, so she can continue to live and breathe. This, of course, is a creation attributed to her knowledge in science. She must wear a deep sea dive suit when underwater with a helmet on in order to breathe, and vice versa when SpongeBob, Patrick, or any other sea creatures visit her tree-dome. Sandy is able to live in Bikini Bottom as a professional scientist because she is a part of a research project funded by three land-based chimpanzees. These chimpanzees make a physical appearance in the fourth-season episode "Chimps Ahoy". Sandy has been shown to possess a number of tough, tomboyish character traits and interests; she is skilled at karate and frequently enjoys practicing it with SpongeBob, in which she tends to most often win; she is also shown to be an excellent bodybuilder, is a rodeo champion, and possesses extraordinary scientific skills and can construct complex inventions. While Sandy is normally portrayed as kind, helpful, and understanding, she has been shown to possess a vindictive side too. In "Texas", she violently attacked SpongeBob and Patrick when they insulted her native land several times, while in "Band Geeks" she stuck Patrick up a trombone and later tried to do the same thing with a trumpet when he kicked her twice.
The voice of Sandy Cheeks is provided by Carolyn Lawrence, who voices other miscellaneous characters in the series. Lawrence got the role of Sandy when she was in Los Angeles at Los Feliz. She met Donna Grillo, a casting director, on a sidewalk. Lawrence was with a friend who knew Grillo, and she said Lawrence had an interesting voice. Grillo brought Lawrence in to audition and she got the part.
Before a recording, Lawrence prepares when the crew sends a storyboard. She explains, "I absolutely love that! Not only do I get to read the script, I can actually see what the artists have in mind. It is an amazing process and I feel so fortunate to be able to work that way![...] I would prefer to let the script come alive in me before a taping."
- Writers: Sherm Cohen, Vincent Waller, David Fain (March 22, 2000). "Texas". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 1. Episode 18a. Nickelodeon.
- Brown, Arthur (2008). Everything I Need to Know, I Learned from Cartoons!. USA: Arthur Brown. p. 85. ISBN 1435732480.
- Writers: Ennio Torresan, Jr., Erik Wiese, Mr. Lawrence (September 25, 1999). "MuscleBob BuffPants". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 1. Episode 11a. Nickelodeon.
- Writers: Luke Brookshier, Nate Cash, Richard Pursel (February 6, 2010). "Rodeo Daze". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 7. Episode 138b. Nickelodeon.
- Writers: Luke Brookshier, Tom King, Steven Banks (May 5, 2006). "Chimps Ahoy". SpongeBob SquarePants. Season 4. Episode 70b. Nickelodeon.
- "Carolyn Lawrence: Credits". TV Guide. Retrieved May 22, 2013.
- Basile, Nancy (March 29, 2006). "Voice Behind Sandy Cheeks on SpongeBob". About.com. Archived from the original on May 13, 2013. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- "Carolyn Lawrence Exclusive Interview". The Star Scoop. September 17, 2009. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- "REFANB Interview: Carolyn Lawrence, A.K.A. Ashley Graham". Resident Evil Fan. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- Basile, Nancy. "Carolyn Lawrence Sandy Cheeks on 'SpongeBob SquarePants'". About.com. Archived from the original on May 13, 2013. Retrieved June 14, 2013.