Sandy Civic Center (UTA station)
|TRAX light rail station|
Sandy Civic Center Station, nearby bus connections and transit-oriented development
|Location||115 East Sego Lily Drive
|Platforms||1 island platform and 1 side platform (southbound trains only)|
|Bus routes||201, 218, F514, F546|
|Parking||Limited surface parking|
|Bicycle facilities||9 paid lockers, bicycle stands|
|Opened||4 December 1999|
Sandy Civic Center is a light rail station in Sandy, Utah, United States serviced by the Blue Line of Utah Transit Authority's TRAX light rail system. The Blue Line provides service from Downtown Salt Lake City to Draper. Prior to the opening of the Draper extension in 2013, this station was the southernmost on the Blue Line. The station opened on 4 December 1999 as part of the first operating segment of the TRAX system on the Sandy/University Line.
The station is located at 115 East Sego Lily Drive (10000 South) and is easily accessed from State Street (US-89) by heading east on Sego Lily Drive or from 700 East (SR-71) by heading west on Sego Lily Drive. The station is just southeast of Jordan High School on a hill overlooking Sandy's downtown area and major destinations such as the Shops at South Town to the west.
The station has a free Park and Ride lot; previously, it had nearly 1,200 free parking spaces available, though surface parking is being removed and developed into apartments, offices, and retail. The park-and-ride will soon relocate to a new parking garage serving Sandy's East Village developments.
All of UTA's TRAX and FrontRunner trains and stations, streetcars and streetcar stops, and all fixed route buses are compliant with Americans with Disabilities Act and are therefore accessible to those with disabilities. In accordance with the Utah Clean Air Act and UTA ordinance, "smoking is prohibited on UTA vehicles as well as UTA bus stops, TRAX stations, and FrontRunner stations".
The East Village
The station is home to Sandy's first transit-oriented development known as the East Village, a 32-acre (130,000 m2) project part of Sandy City's revitalization plan. The East Village is under construction as of March 2017, with three multi-family residential buildings complete and one under construction; one office building complete and others under development; and retail space under planning for a late 2017 groundbreaking. When complete, the development will contain about 500,000 square feet (46,000 m2) of commercial development including offices and small-format retail, 1,122 apartment units, and 1,450,000 square feet (135,000 m2) of development in total.
Bus routes are current as of Change Day on December 18, 2016.
- UTA Route 201 - State Street South
- UTA Route 218 - Sandy/South Jordan
- UTA Route F514 - 300 West Flex
- UTA Route F546 - Draper Flex
- "UTA Rideshare - Programs > Bicycle". Utah Transit Authority. Archived from the original on 2 Feb 2008. Retrieved 8 Jun 2008.
- Van Eyck, Zack (26 Aug 1999). "All aboard! TRAX trains will roll in December". Deseret News. Salt Lake City: Deseret Digital Media. Retrieved 28 Feb 2013.
- "Parking Changes at Sandy Civic Center TRAX Station". www.rideuta.com. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "The East Village". Hamilton Partners. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "Fixed Route Accessibility". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 13 Mar 2013.
- "Rider Rules". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 12 Mar 2013.
- Lee, Jasen (2016-03-23). "Phase one of Sandy transit-oriented development project nears completion". DeseretNews.com. Retrieved 2017-03-17.
- "The East Village". Hamilton Partners. Retrieved 2017-03-17.