Herd c. 1920
|Full name||Alexander Herd|
|Born||24 April 1868|
St Andrews, Scotland
|Died||18 February 1944 (aged 75)|
|Children||2 sons, 4 daughters|
|Best results in major championships|
|The Open Championship||Won: 1902|
Herd was the club professional at Huddersfield Golf Club from 1892 to 1911. He won The Open Championship in 1902 at Hoylake. Herd had a three-shot lead after 54 holes, but nearly let the title slip out of his hands by scoring an 81 in the final round. Harry Vardon and James Braid both had medium length putts at the final hole to force a playoff, but they missed and Herd took the Championship.
Herd was the first Open Champion to use the Haskell rubber-cored ball. In 1920, he became the oldest runner-up in The Open at age 52, which stood for 89 years, until Tom Watson (age 59) in 2009. Herd's appearances in the championship spanned fifty years, the last at age 71 at St Andrews in 1939, but failed to advance from qualifying. He last played in The Open six years earlier in 1933, but twisted an ankle during the first round and had to withdraw; he last made the cut in 1927 and tied for tenth.
- Note: This list may be incomplete
- 1895 Irish Championship Meeting Professional Tournament
- 1896 Irish Championship Meeting Professional Tournament
- 1901 Irish Championship Meeting Professional Tournament
- 1902 The Open Championship
- 1904 Leeds Cup
- 1905 Leeds Cup
- 1906 News of the World Match Play
- 1911 Sphere and Tatler Foursomes Tournament (with James Bradbeer)
- 1923 Roehampton Invitation
- 1925 Hertfordshire Open Championship
- 1926 News of the World Match Play
Major championships are shown in bold.
|Year||Championship||54 holes||Winning score||Margin||Runners-up|
|1902||The Open Championship||3 shot lead||77-76-73-81=307||1 stroke||James Braid, Harry Vardon|
|The Open Championship||WD||8||T15|
|The Open Championship||13||T2||3||8||2||5||5||T17||T16|
|The Open Championship||T10||5||1||4||9||15||T19||12||4||T8|
|The Open Championship||2||T3||6||T11||T29||NT||NT||NT||NT||NT|
|The Open Championship||2||T6||T32||T22||T13||T14||T21||T10||CUT||CUT|
|The Open Championship||WD|
Note: Herd only played in The Open Championship
NT = No tournament
CUT = missed the half-way cut
WD = withdrew
"T" indicates a tie for a place
- England–Scotland Professional Match (representing Scotland): 1903 (winners), 1904 (tie), 1905 (tie), 1906, 1907, 1909, 1910, 1912 (tie), 1913, 1932
- Coronation Match (representing the Professionals): 1911 (winners)
- Seniors vs Juniors (representing the Seniors): 1928 (winners)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sandy Herd.|
- "Obituary – Sandy Herd – Noted Scottish Golfer". Glasgow Herald. 19 February 1944. p. 5.
- "Births in the United District of St Andrews and St Leonards in the City of Fife". Statutory Births 453/00 0068. ScotlandsPeople. Retrieved 16 February 2015. (Subscription required (help)).
- "1902 Sandy Herd". The Open. Archived from the original on 26 November 2011. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Hagen sets the pace". Glasgow Herald. 6 July 1933. p. 11.