Official promotional poster
|Directed by||Steven Brill|
|Music by||Rupert Gregson-Williams|
|Edited by||Tom Costain|
Sandy Wexler is a 2017 American comedy film directed by Steven Brill and written by Dan Bulla, Paul Sado and Adam Sandler. The film stars Sandler, Jennifer Hudson, Kevin James, Terry Crews, Rob Schneider, Colin Quinn, Nick Swardson, Lamorne Morris and Arsenio Hall, and follows a talent manager in 1990s Hollywood. The film was released on Netflix on April 14, 2017.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2019)
Sandy Wexler (Adam Sandler) is a talent manager working in Los Angeles in the 1990s, diligently, albeit erratically, representing a group of eccentric clients on the fringes of show business. His skills as a manager are challenged when he discovers a genuinely talented singer, Courtney Clarke (Jennifer Hudson).
- Adam Sandler as Sandy Wexler
- Jennifer Hudson as Courtney Clarke
- Kevin James as Ted Rafferty
- Terry Crews as "Bedtime" Bobby Barnes
- Shad Gaspard as "Bedtime" Bobby Barnes (in-ring)
- Rob Schneider as Firuz
- Colin Quinn as Kevin Connors
- Nick Swardson as Gary Rodgers
- Lamorne Morris as Bling
- Arsenio Hall as himself
- Aaron Neville as Willy Clarke
- Jane Seymour as Cindy Marvelle
- Sandy Wernick as Peter Marvelle
- Wayne Federman as Eric Lamonsoff
- Jackie Sandler as Amy Baskin
- Luis Guzmán as Oscar
- Rob Reiner as Marty Markowitz
- Chris Elliott as Mr. Buttons
- Ido Mosseri as Yuri
- Milo Ventimiglia as Barry Bubatzi
- Eugenio Derbez as Ramiro Alejandro
- Jessica Lowe as Ms. Gideon
- Allen Covert as Gurvy
- Jonathan Loughran as Trucker Jon
- Kate Micucci as Nurse Trisha
Cameo roles include Jewel, Darius Rucker, Jason Priestley, Gary Dell'Abate, Arsenio Hall, Quincy Jones, Judd Apatow, Janeane Garofalo, Pauly Shore, Kevin Nealon, Lorne Michaels, Dana Carvey, Chris Rock, David Spade, George Wendt, Penn Jillette, Henry Winkler, Tony Orlando, Al B. Sure!, Brian McKnight, Vanilla Ice, Jimmy Kimmel, Conan O'Brien, Louie Anderson, "Weird Al" Yankovic, Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds, Mason "Ma$e" Betha, Jay Leno, Lisa Loeb, Jon Lovitz, Budd Friedman and his wife Alix Friedman.
On July 20, 2016, Jennifer Hudson joined the cast of the film, and on July 26, 2016, Kevin James, Terry Crews, Rob Schneider, Colin Quinn, Nick Swardson, Lamorne Morris and Arsenio Hall joined as well. Principal photography began on August 2, 2016.
The Wexler character is a satirical homage to Sandler's real-life manager Sandy Wernick.
On Rotten Tomatoes, Sandy Wexler has an approval rating of 27% based on 22 reviews, with an average rating of 4.11/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Sandy Wexler marks a mild improvement from the Adam Sandler vehicles immediately preceding it – which in no way serves as an endorsement for non-hardcore fans." On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating, the film has a weighted average score 40 out of 100, based on 8 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
Peter Debruge of Variety called the film "sloppy" and is critical of the 131 minute runtime. Although he appreciates the concept of the film as a comedy roast, Debruge complains that the film is not funny enough.
- Film and Television Tax Credit Program Program 2.0 (PDF) (Report). California Film Commission. p. 3. Retrieved July 19, 2019.
- "Kevin James, Terry Crews, Rob Schneider Join Adam Sandler's 'Sandy Wexler' (Exclusive)". Hollywood Reporter. 2016-07-26. Retrieved 2016-11-11.
- "'Sandy Wexler' Teaser Trailer: Adam Sandler Actually Ruins a Movie". slashfilm. 2017-01-19. Retrieved 2017-01-31.
- "Jennifer Hudson to Star in Adam Sandler's Netflix Movie 'Sandy Wexler' (Exclusive)". Hollywood Reporter. 2016-07-20. Retrieved 2016-11-11.
- Peter Debruge (April 15, 2017). "Film Review: Sandy Wexler". Variety.
- News Desk, TV (January 19, 2017). "VIDEO: First Look - Adam Sandler Stars in Netflix Original Film SANDY WEXLER". Broadway World. Retrieved January 19, 2017.
- "Sandy Wexler (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- "Sandy Wexler reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved April 21, 2017.