Sanford L. Segal
Sanford L. Segal
|Born||October 11, 1937|
|Died||May 7, 2010(aged 72)|
|Alma mater||University of Colorado, Wesleyan University|
|Known for||Analytic number theory, Complex analysis|
|Thesis||The Error Term in the Formula for the Average Value of the Euler's φ Function (1963)|
|Doctoral advisor||Sarvadaman Chowla|
|Notable students||Georges G. Grinstein, Melvyn B. Nathanson|
Sanford Leonard Segal (University of Rochester. Mathematically he specialized in analytic number theory, and complex analysis. He wrote the textbook Nine Introductions in Complex Analysis (1981), and the tome Mathematicians Under the Nazis (2003), a historical recount from that period. He also taught courses in women's studies, and nuclear arms.October 11, 1937 – May 7, 2010) was a mathematician and historian of science and mathematics at the
In 1963, he earned his Ph.D. in Mathematics at University of Colorado under the supervision of Sarvadaman D. S. Chowla with the dissertation entitled The Error Term in the Formula for the Average Value of the Euler Phi Function.
After his Ph.D., he worked at the University of Rochester for 44 years until his retirement in 2008. In 1965 he received a grant from the Fulbright Program as a research fellow in Vienna, Austria. And in 1977, he received a grant from the National Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics to teach in Rio de Janeiro.
In 1981 he published Nine Introductions in Complex Analysis. He later received a grant from The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation to research history of science in Nazi Germany. Princeton University Press later published the book Mathematicians Under the Nazis in 2003.
He translated from French the book History of Mathematics: Highways and Byways in 2009. In addition, Segal published more than 45 papers on mathematics, mathematics education, and the history of science.
He married Rima Maxwell and had three children, Adam, Joshua, and Zoë.
He died on May 7, 2010.
- Sanford L. Segal (1962). "On π(x + y) ≦ π(x) + π(y)". Transactions of the American Mathematical Society. 104 (3): 523. doi:10.2307/1993801.
- Sanford L. Segal (1962). "On π(x + y) ≦ π(x) + π(y)". Transactions of the American Mathematical Society. 104 (3): 523–523. doi:10.1090/S0002-9947-1962-0139586-4.
- S. L. Segal (1964). "A Note on Normal Order and the Euler fe Function". Journal of the London Mathematical Society. s1-39 (1): 400–404. doi:10.1112/jlms/s1-39.1.400.
- Sanford L. Segal (1965). "A note on the average order of number-theoretic error terms". Duke Mathematical Journal. 32 (1965): 279–284. doi:10.1215/S0012-7094-65-03227-8.
- S. L. Segal (1965). "On Non-Decreasing Normal Orders". Journal of the London Mathematical Society. s1-40 (1): 459–466. doi:10.1112/jlms/s1-40.1.459.
- Sanford L. Segal (1965). "Errata: "A note on the average order of number-theoretic error terms,"vol. 32 (1965) pp. 279–284". Duke Mathematical Journal. 32 (1965): 765–765. doi:10.1215/S0012-7094-65-03280-1.
- Segal, S.L. (1981). Nine Introductions in Complex Analysis. Notas de matematica fisica. Elsevier Science. ISBN 9780444862266. LCCN lc81009568.
- S. L. Segal (1987). "Is Female Math Anxiety Real?". Science. 237 (4813): 350–350. doi:10.1126/science.237.4813.350-a.
- Sanford L. Segal (1987). "Is Female Math Anxiety Real?". Science. 237: 350. Bibcode:1987Sci...237..350S. doi:10.1126/science.3603021.
- Sanford L. Segal (1992). "Ernst August Weiss: Mathematical Pedagogical Innovation in the Third Reich". In Sergei S. Demidov; Menso Folkerts; David E. Rowe; et al. Amphora — Festsschrift for Hans Wussing on the Occasion of his 65th Birthday. Basel: Springer. pp. 693–704. ISBN 978-3-0348-9696-2.
- Andreas Steup; Sanford L. Segal (1996). "German Universities". Science. 274: 905b. Bibcode:1996Sci...274..905S. doi:10.1126/science.274.5289.905b.
- S. L. Segal (1996). "German Universities". Science. 274 (5289): 901d–905. doi:10.1126/science.274.5289.901d.
- Segal, S.L. (2003). Mathematicians Under the Nazis. Princeton University Press. ISBN 9780691004518. LCCN 02070399.
- "Sanford Segal retires". University of Rochester. Archived from the original on 2010-05-14.
- Allyn Jackson (2010). "Sanford Segal (1937–2010)". Notices of the AMS. American Mathematical Society. 59 (9): 1278.
- Sanford L. Segal at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Blank, Alan (24 May 2010). "Mathematics Professor Emeritus Sanford Segal Dies". University of Rochester. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- "Inside the AMS" (PDF). Notices of the AMS. 57 (7): 892. 2010. Retrieved 28 November 2012.