Sangeet Paul Choudary
Sangeet Paul Choudary
Sangeet Paul Choudary at the Mobile World Congress 2017
|Known for||Author of Platform Revolution, CEO of Platformation Labs|
Sangeet Paul Choudary is a business scholar, entrepreneur, advisor and author. He is best known for his work on platform economics and network effects. He is the co-author of the book Platform Revolution: How Networked Markets Are Transforming the Economy and How to Make Them Work for You.
Choudary's work on platform economics has been featured on four occasions among Harvard Business Review's top 10 management ideas. It is ranked among HBR's top 10 strategy publications, alongside the works of Michael Porter, Clayton Christensen, A.G. Lafley, and others.
Choudary is the author of several books, including Platform Revolution: How Networked Markets Are Transforming the Economy and How to Make Them Work for You. Platform Revolution was ranked an international best-seller by 800CEOREAD and a must-read business book for 2016 by Forbes. In 2015, Choudary wrote the book Platform Scale: How an emerging business model helps startups build large empires with minimum investment.
Choudary is appointed as an external expert on several Forbes 2000 boards and committees, including the ING Bank's Global Innovation Council and Grupo Pao De Acucar's Statutory Committee. He is also appointed to the World Economic Forum's Global Future Council on Platforms and Systems. He has also been retained as an industry thought leader by technology brands including Microsoft, Huawei and AT&T.
Choudary has addressed high-level political delegations at various UN bodies, including the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and the International Labor Organization (ILO). He has also addressed leading industry summits, including the Australian Financial Review Summit, where he was one of four keynotes alongside two heads of state and the chairman of the IMF. Choudary addressed the G20 Summit in Brisbane in November 2014 and is a frequent speaker at the events of the World Economic Forum. He also frequently addresses the board meetings of Fortune 500 firms, like ANZ Bank.
Choudary co-authored the article "Pipelines, Platforms, and the New Rules of Strategy" in the April 2016 edition of the Harvard Business Review. This article was subsequently selected as one of the top 10 management ideas for the year 2017. In 2019, it was selected as one of the top 10 articles on the topic of business model innovation, ever published in the Harvard Business Review.
Choudary is an Entrepreneur-in-Residence at the INSEAD Business School and the co-chair of the MIT Platform Strategy Summit at the MIT Media Lab. He was formerly a research fellow at the Centre for Global Enterprise, a New York - based think tank. In 2017, Choudary was also selected as one of the 50 thinkers included in the compilation Dear CEO by Thinkers50.
Choudary is an alumnus of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur and the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Bangalore. At the 2016 annual convocation at his alma mater, IIM Bangalore, Choudary received special mention during the convocation speech by chief guest Nandan Nilekani, for his work on platform models.
Honors and awards
Harvard Business Review
- 2020: Selected as one of the top 10 strategy publications ever published in the Harvard Business Review, alongside Michael Porter, Clayton Christensen, and others.
- 2020: Selected as one of the top 10 publications on the topic of platform and ecosystems in the Harvard Business Review.
- 2019: Selected as one of the top 10 publications on business model innovation ever published in the Harvard Business Review.
- 2017: Selected among the top 10 management ideas for the year by Harvard Business Review.
World Economic Forum
- 2017: Selected as a Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum.
- 2016: Appointed to the World Economic Forum's Global Future Council on Platforms and Systems.
- 2016: Ranked among the top 30 management thinkers globally most likely to shape the future of how organizations are managed and led, by Thinkers50 Radar.
- 2015: Ranked among the top 50 business thinkers of Indian origin, by Thinkers50. Youngest ever to be ranked on this list.
Indian Institute of Management (IIM)
- 2020: Youngest ever recipient of the Distinguished Alumnus Award.
Ideas and theories
Choudary is best known for his work on the transition of business models from pipelines to platforms. He first proposed this idea in a 2013 article for WIRED magazine. The idea, gained widespread adoption after his 2016 article on this topic was selected by Harvard Business Review among its top 10 ideas of the year. Choudary is also credited with proposing the idea of the core interaction as the central focus of value creation on platform business models, presented in his books Platform Scale and Platform Revolution. Choudary's work on the transformation of incumbent businesses to platform business models has been widely quoted in media. His recent work explains the importance of platform economics in manufacturing, heavy industry, healthcare, and financial services. Choudary credits game design theory as one of the inspirations for his work on platform design.
Choudary has been a sought after expert for research outlets including the International Labor Organization, the MIT Technology Review, the World Economic Forum, the Economist, McKinsey & Company, and the European Parliament.
For his work on platform economics, Choudary has been hailed as a 'global thought leader on the platform business model' by Forbes, a 'top global thinker' by the Huffington Post and a 'leading expert on the so-called platform economy' by the United Nations' WIPO. Choudary has also been featured twice in the Thinkers50 lists for his ideas and theories. 
Impact on public policy
Choudary's work champions the use of digital public goods for societal and national development. He is currently appointed to the five-member national advisory committee to the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MOHUA) by the Government of India, to implement a digital public goods strategy for urban innovation in India. He is also appointed to the board of directors of the ASEAN Financial Innovation Network which is building a platform for financial innovation as a public good for financial institutions and fintechs.
Choudary has been a prominent advocate of individual rights in the platform economy and has worked extensively with several international bodies, including the United Nations, on this topic. His research on worker exploitation by labor platforms was released by the International Labor Organization as part of their Future of Work Research Paper Series. In November 2017, Choudary addressed a high-level seminar by the Permanent Mission of Belgium in Geneva, highlighting the factors that lead to exploitation of workers on digital platforms.
In February 2018, Choudary addressed the Parliament of Denmark on labor policy for the platform economy, stressing on the need for a new data-driven regulation paradigm for platforms. His recommendations for regulating platforms through open data sharing were instrumental in informing the Danish government's decision to implement open data regulation for Airbnb in May 2018. In September 2018, Choudary's framework also informed the set up of the world's first collective agreement between a platform company and a trade union, again in Denmark.
Choudary's research on the adverse impact of platforms on the creative economy was featured as a keynote at the annual global conference of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). His recommendations advocated the role of the WIPO as a standards setting organization in a platform economy, for protection of creator interests.
Choudary's research also looks at readiness of countries moving into the platform economy. In partnership with Standard Bank, Choudary has also co-authored a paper on the rise of the platform economy in the African continent.
Choudary's work on digital trade includes a future positioning paper for countries like Singapore that is widely considered a blueprint for Singapore's strategy for digital trade. The paper suggests that countries can adopt a platform strategy and establish free data ports to harness digital trade flows.
In November 2020, in the aftermath of the 2020 US elections, Choudary's research on China's strategy for technology export and dominance was published through the Brookings Institution, a leading American think-tank, to inform the incoming Biden Administration on possible policy responses.
- Platform Revolution (2016, with Geoffrey G. Parker and Marshall van Alstyne), W. W. Norton & Company
- Platform Scale: How an emerging business model helps startups build large empires with minimum investment (2015)
- Platform Scale for a Post-Pandemic World (2020 - New Edition), Penguin Random House
HBR's 10 Must Reads Compilations
- HBR's 10 Must Reads on Strategy Vol. 2 (2020, Harvard Business Review)
- HBR's 10 Must Reads on Business Model Innovation (2019, Harvard Business Review)
- HBR's 10 Must Reads 2017: The Definitive Management Ideas of the Year from Harvard Business Review (2016, Harvard Business Review)
- HBR's 10 Must Reads on Platforms and Ecosystems (2020, Harvard Business Review)
- Transforming beyond the crisis (2020, Brightline Initiative)
- ILO's Future of Work Research Paper Series (2018, as resident researcher, International Labor Organization)
- The Chief Strategy Officer Playbook (2018, Brightline Initiative)
- Dear CEO: 50 Personal Letters from the World's Leading Business Thinkers (2017, Bloomsbury Publishing)
- Managing Startups: Best Blog Posts (2013, O'Reilly Media)
- Pipelines, Platforms, and the New Rules of Strategy (with Geoffrey G. Parker and Marshall van Alstyne, April 2016), Harvard Business Review
- China's country-as-platform strategy for global influence, Brookings Institution
- The architecture of digital labour platforms: Policy recommendations on platform design for worker well-being, International Labor Organization (ILO)
- Freelancers on the network, MIT Technology Review
- Why business models fail: Pipes vs Platforms, Wired Magazine
- "Platform Revolution | W. W. Norton & Company". books.wwnorton.com. Retrieved 2017-04-01.
- "Here's the advantage that keeps Silicon Valley ahead of the world". Washington Post. Retrieved 2017-04-01.
- Philips, Jeremy G. (2016-05-18). "Why Facebook's Imitators Failed". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2017-04-01.
- "Is It Time to Build Your Own Platform?". MIT Sloan Management Review. Retrieved 2017-04-01.
- Harvard Business Review Top 10 Must Reads on Strategy (Vol. 2). ISBN 1633699161.
- "HBR's 10 Must Reads 2017: The Definitive Management Ideas of the Year from Harvard Business Review (with bonus article)". hbr.org. Retrieved 2017-04-01.
- Christensen, Clayton M.; Blank, Steve; Johnson, Mark W.; McGrath, Rita Gunther (2019). HBR's 10 Must Reads on Business Model Innovation. ISBN 978-1633696877. Missing
- "Harvard Business Publishing Education". hbsp.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2020-11-06.
- "Young Global Leaders class of 2017". widgets.weforum.org. Retrieved 2017-03-15.
- "May 2016 Business Book Bestsellers". Retrieved 2017-09-24.
- Burkus, David. "16 Must-Read Business Books For 2016". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
- Pash, Chris (2015-10-30). "The 11 core skills needed to be a high-impact entrepreneur, according to the chief scientist". Business Insider Australia. Retrieved 2017-04-06.
- "Tech in Asia - Connecting Asia's startup ecosystem". www.techinasia.com. Retrieved 2017-04-06.
- Bureau, Our (2016-03-24). "Nilekani urges IIM-B graduates to embrace technology, move away from 'pipe' models". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2017-04-06.
- ING.com (2017-07-18). "Learning from the best". ING.com. Retrieved 2017-07-18.
- "Committees". GPA RI. Retrieved 2020-07-11.
- "The Future of Platforms and Systems". World Economic Forum. Retrieved 2017-05-06.
- "Microsoft presenta su propuesta de plataforma para dar soporte a la transformación digital - Centro de noticias". Centro de noticias. 2017-01-31. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- datagora. "Dynamics 365, plataforma de Microsoft para la transformación digital | Datagora". Archived from the original on 2017-04-25. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- "Transformación empresarial con Microsoft Dynamics 365 | MarTech Forum". MarTech Forum | Foro de Marketing Digital (in Spanish). Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- "Operations Transformation Sharing - Huawei at MWC2017". huawei. Retrieved 2018-07-24.
- "Speakers - The Summit | An AT&T Experience". The Summit | An AT&T Experience. Retrieved 2017-09-22.
- "World Intellectual Property Organization" (PDF).
- "High-level seminar on the "Sharing Economy and its Social Challenges"". 2017-10-16. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "How business can beat the disruptors". Financial Review. 2017-12-06. Retrieved 2018-01-01.
- "Sangeet Choudary on Amazon's wake-up call for business". Financial Review. 2018-03-06. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Join the world's leading digital thinkers | Digital Brisbane". www.digitalbrisbane.com.au. Archived from the original on 2017-04-24. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- Sullivan, Mike. "Great minds attracted to G20 Brisbane Global Cafe". www.businessacumen.biz. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- Agenda, Global (2016-06-26). "World Economic Forum - Annual Meeting of the New Champions Meeting Schedule" (PDF). World Economic Forum.
- "Are platforms the new bank branches?". Retrieved 2018-08-12.
- "Pipelines, Platforms, and the New Rules of Strategy". Harvard Business Review. Retrieved 2017-04-01.
- "INSEAD Centre for Entrepreneurship". centres.insead.edu. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- Alister & Paine (2015-08-05). "Here's What You Missed at MIT's 3rd Annual Platform Strategy Summit". Alister & Paine. Retrieved 2017-05-08.
- "Platform Sprawl Leaves No Industry Behind". MIT Sloan Management Review. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- Banker, Steve. "The Rise Of The Platform Enterprise". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-10-21.
- "People | My CMS". thecge.net. Retrieved 2017-08-05.
- Bloomsbury.com. "Dear CEO". Bloomsbury Publishing. Retrieved 2017-05-22.
- Cohn, Alisa. "Thinkers50 Create The Oscars Of Management Thinking". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- "Why India's best tech schools produce more entrepreneurs than the Ivy League". Quartz. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- Bureau, Our (2016-03-24). "Nilekani urges IIM-B graduates to embrace technology, move away from 'pipe' models". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- "Make the best out of shifting business trends: Nandan Nilekani". deccanchronicle.com/. 2016-03-25. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- "Age of disruption: Those embracing change will not only survive but thrive". Economic Times Blog. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- Feb 25, Bangalore Mirror Bureau | Updated; 2020; Ist, 19:29. "IIMB to host its 45th convocation ceremony on March 20". Bangalore Mirror. Retrieved 2020-02-26.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Young Global Leaders class of 2017". widgets.weforum.org. Retrieved 2017-09-17.
- "The Thinkers50 Radar 2016" (PDF). Thinkers 50. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Business Wire India". Thinkers 50. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- Choudary, Sangeet Paul. "Why Business Models Fail: Pipes vs. Platforms". WIRED. Retrieved 2018-06-16.
- "Pipelines, Platforms, and the New Rules of Strategy". Harvard Business Review. 2016-04-01. Retrieved 2018-06-16.
- Newton, John. "AlfrescoVoice: The Platform Business Model: Why It Works And How to Get There: An Interview With Sangeet Paul Choudary". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
- "Sangeet Choudary on Amazon's wake-up call for business". Financial Review. 2018-03-06. Retrieved 2018-07-08.
- "How platforms will become critical for businesses- Business News". www.businesstoday.in. Retrieved 2018-06-16.
- "The architecture of digital labour platforms: Policy recommendations on platform design for worker well-being". 2018-05-15. Retrieved 2018-06-13.
- Choudary, Sangeet Paul. "Freelancers on the Network". MIT Technology Review. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- "World Economic Forum - Digital Transformation Initiative" (PDF).
- "World Economic Forum - Global Information Technology Report" (PDF).
- "Does Deutschland do digital?". The Economist. Retrieved 2018-01-15.
- "Online Giants Get Personal". The Business of Fashion. 2017-12-06. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
- "European Parliament - The cost of Non-Europe in the Sharing Economy" (PDF).
- "European Parliament - Global Trends to 2035" (PDF).
- Cabrera, Marquis (2017-07-10). "Top Global Thinker Applies Lessons from Airbnb and Uber to Open Government as a Platform". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
- "Creative industries in the platform economy". www.wipo.int. Retrieved 2019-01-16.
- T, Generation (2020-10-15). "Sangeet Paul Choudary". Generation T. Retrieved 2020-10-21.
- "Amazon and Uber, and the dark side of platforms". Financial Review. 2018-03-04. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Cookiewall | Het Financieele Dagblad". fd.nl. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- "ASEAN Financial Innovation Network Adds Pair to Board". 2020-05-21. Retrieved 2020-05-23.
- "International Labor Organization" (PDF).
- "High-level seminar on the "Sharing Economy and its Social Challenges"". 2017-10-16. Retrieved 2018-06-13.
- "Er den danske model klar til fremtidens digitale arbejdsmarked?". borsen.dk (in Danish). Retrieved 2018-05-19.
- "Airbnb tax evaders targeted in landmark deal". BBC News. 2018-05-18. Retrieved 2018-06-21.
- "World's first collective agreement between platform company and trade union in Denmark". Uni Europa. 2018-09-20. Retrieved 2020-01-07.
- "WIPO Conference on the Global Digital Content Market: Focus on Asia-Pacific". www.wipo.int. Retrieved 2018-11-19.
- "Africa's platform business economies | Standard Bank". corporateandinvestment.standardbank.com. Retrieved 2020-07-11.
- hermes (2018-02-14). "Singapore must think like a platform to thrive as a digital hub". The Straits Times. Retrieved 2018-06-13.
- Choudary, Sangeet Paul (2020-11-19). "China's country-as-platform strategy for global influence". Brookings. Retrieved 2021-01-06.
- Choudary, Sangeet Paul (2021). Platform Scale for a Post-Pandemic World. https://www.amazon.in/Platform-Scale-Post-Pandemic-Sangeet-Choudary/dp/0670095176/: Penguin Portfolio. ISBN 978-0670095179.CS1 maint: location (link)
- "Transforming Beyond the Crisis". Brightline Initiative. Retrieved 2020-11-06.
- "Future of Work Research Papers (The future of work)". www.ilo.org. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- "The Chief Strategy Officer Playbook". www.brightline.org. Retrieved 2018-12-06.
- Eisenmann, Thomas (2013-05-01). Managing Startups: Best Blog Posts. "O'Reilly Media, Inc.". ISBN 9781449370503.
- "Why Business Models Fail: Pipes vs Platforms".