Sangertown Square atrium
|Location||New Hartford, New York, United States|
|Owner||The Pyramid Companies|
|No. of stores and services||80|
|No. of anchor tenants||8|
|Total retail floor area||880,000|
|No. of floors||1 (2 in JCPenney)|
Sangertown Square is a shopping mall located in New Hartford, New York between New York State Route 5 and New York State Route 8 near Utica, New York. Sangertown Square is a single-story mall, and comprises over 800,000 square feet (74,000 m2) of leasable retail space. The mall was built in 1980 and has about 80 stores and a central food court. Department stores include Boscov's, Dick's Sporting Goods, DSW, Inc., JCPenney, Macy's, and Target.
In 2003, the mall's once sunken center court was elevated, and brick ornamentation around its food court columns were removed.
In 2007, the unique "boulder" fountain in front of JCPenney was buried with wood chips and artificial vegetation. All of the globular tinted glass torches have been removed due to remodeling which occurred in June 2013. There was originally a fountain within the food court, but it was later removed due to noise issues. The fountain in front of the Sears entrance was removed as well in the early 2000s. The only current fountain is in front of the Macy's entrance. However, this fountain has been up for discussion for removal as well. In the summer of 2013, the "boulder" fountain in front of JCPenney was removed. The mall has had many entertainment options including arcades, and nice sit-down restaurants over the years, but in recent years many have left. The only arcade closed in late 2011 for construction of a DSW.
There have been several plans to expand Sangertown Square, but many have never left the drawing board. Past plans included a 1998 expansion and retrofit for the Sears and JCPenney stores as well as construction of a 900 space parking garage and the proposed 2004 ThEATery.
In 2014, work to modernize Sangertown Square began, which includes new seating, decorative lightning, new tile, exterior entrances, and an improved landscape. Another addition will be Buffalo Wild Wings which will open in the former Circuit City building. But at the current moment it is not located at the mall.
- The Pyramid Companies (2008). "The Pyramid Companies - Portfolio". Sangertown Square - New Hartford, NY. Retrieved July 29, 2008.
- "Sangertown Square's future a mystery". Observer-Dispatch. Utica, N.Y. June 27, 2015. Retrieved February 7, 2017.
- Frank Tomaino (2008). "This week in history: Advice for Conkling". Sangertown Square - New Hartford, NY. Archived from the original on February 9, 2013. Retrieved July 29, 2008.
- Casey Dickinson (2004). "Pyramid brings theaters to CNY". CNY Business Journal. Retrieved July 29, 2008.
- Madison, Samantha (March 30, 2016). "Department store to move into former Sears space at Sangertown". Herkimer (N.Y.) Telegram. Retrieved February 7, 2017.