|Part of a series on|
Jainism has a fourfold order of male monastics (muni), female monastics (aryika), sravaka (layman) and sravika (laywoman). This order is known as a sangha.
The Jains have the highest literacy rate, 94.1.% compared with the national average of 65.38%. They have the highest female literacy rate, 90.6.% compared with the national average of 54.16%. It is believed that the Jains also have the Highest per capita income in India. Jains though very small in numbers, they alone pay 24% Income tax of India.
There are about 110 different Jain communities in India and overseas. They can be divided into six groups based on historical and current residence.
The Jain population in India according to 2011 census is 0.37% i.e. 4,451,753 (Males 2,278,097; Females 2,173,656) out of the total population of India 1,210,854,977 (Males 623,270,258; Females 587,584,719). The tabular representation of Jain population in India as per 2011 Census data released by government in major states is:
|S. No.||State||Persons (Total)||Persons (Rural)||Persons (Urban)||Male (Total)||Male (Rural)||Male (Urban)||Female (Total)||Female (Rural)||Female (Urban)|
It is likely that the actual population of Jains may be significantly higher than the census numbers.
The Jain population in USA is estimated to be about 10,000 to 200,000.
- Shah, Natubhai (2004), Jainism, Motilal Banarsidass, ISBN 978-81-208-1938-2
- hukonchu.com One of the best resource for Jain literature and religious information with the use of latest technologies.
- JainConnect.org Newly evolving Online Portal/Directory for Jain Community.
- Exclusive Matrimonial service for Jain Samaj
- Jain Professional Network 1st professional networking group for Jains all over world
- A portal to connect jains and discuss about Jainism and other things
- Facets of Jainology : Selected Research Papers on Jain Society, Religion and Culture/Vilas Adinath Sangave. Mumbai, Popular Prakashan, 2001
- JAINISM IN AMERICA By Mr. Yashwant K. Malaiya
- Jain Jagruti Centre, Toronto Jain Jagruti Centre Toronto
- Jain Community, Jain Businessmen Jain Community Website, Jain Information
- Universal Hub for Jains Jain Community Website