|Princely State of British India|
|Imperial Gazetteer of India|
|•||Independence of India||1948|
|•||1901||2,880 km2 (1,112 sq mi)|
|Density||47.7 /km2 (123.4 /sq mi)|
|Today part of||Maharashtra, India|
|This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "article name needed". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.|
The Principality of Sangli covered an area of 2,880 square kilometers and had a population of 226,128 in 1901, while the population of the town itself was 16,829 in that year.
Sangli was part of Maratha Empire, for it had been one of the Southern Maratha Jagirs. However, there are no direct references mentioning Sangli before 1801. During the time of Shivaji, Sangli, Miraj and surrounding areas were captured from the Mughal Empire. Until 1801, Sangli was included in the Miraj Jagir. The First Chintamanrao Appasaheb Patwardhan established a different principality with Sangli as the capital city.
The last ruler of Sangli was Capt. HH Shrimant Raja Saheb Sir Chintamanrao II Dhundirajrao Appasaheb Patwardhan. Sangli joined the Dominion of India on 8 March 1948 and is currently a part of the state of Maharashtra.
The Patwardhan rulers were of the Chitpavan Brahmin caste, originally from the Kotawada in Ratnagiri. Haribhat, who was the family priest of another Chitpavan Brahmin, the chief of Ichalkaranji. Three of Haribhat's sons served Peshwa and distinguished themselves during various conquests. The Peshwa awarded them Jagirs of Jamkhandi State, Miraj, Sangli and Kurundwad, to honor their bravery and courage.
- 1782 – 15 Jul 1851 Chintaman Rao I "Appa Sahib" (b. 1776 - d. 1851)
- 1782 - 1801 Gangadharrao -Regent
- 15 Jul 1851 – 12 Dec 1901 Dhundi Rao Chintaman Rao "Tatya Sahib" (b. 1838 - d. 1901)
- 15 Jul 1851 – 12 Jul 1860 .... -Regent
- 12 Dec 1901 – 1 Jun 1932 Chintaman Rao II Dhundi Rao "Appa Sahib" (b. 1890 - d. 1965) (from 1 Jan *1923, Sir Chintaman Rao II Dhundi Rao)
- 12 Dec 1901 – 2 Jun 1910 Richard John Charles Burke -Regent (b. 1878 - d. 1960)
- 1 Jun 1932 – 15 Aug 1947 Sir Chintaman Rao Dhundi Rao "Appa Sahib" (s.a.)
- Brahmin princely states
- Maratha Empire
- List of Maratha dynasties and states
- List of Indian princely states