|District of Maharashtra|
Location of Sangli district in Maharashtra
|Administrative division||Pune Division|
|• Lok Sabha constituencies|
|• Total||8,578 km2 (3,312 sq mi)|
|• Density||330/km2 (850/sq mi)|
|Major highways||NH-4, NH-204|
|Average annual precipitation||400–450 mm|
Sangli district is a district of Maharashtra state in west-central India. Sangli city is the district headquarters. The district is 24.51% urban. Sangli and Miraj are the largest cities. The industrial town of Kirloskarwadi is also located in the Sangli District. Industrialist Laxmanrao Kirloskar started his first factory here. It is known as the sugar bowl of India due to its high sugarcane productivity. Sangli District is one of the most fertile and highly developed district in Maharashtra. The District is very popular as a political power house in the state. Sangli District has given many popular politician's and bureaucrat's till date. Sangli has a rich history and cultural heritage. E-Media often refer's Sangli District as the Heaven of Farmer's.
The district of Sangli is a recent creation made as late as in 1949. It was then known as South Satara and it has been renamed as Sangli since 1961. It is partly made up of a few talukas which once formed part of the old Satara district and partly of the States and jahagirs belonging to Patvardhans, and Dafles which came to be merged during the post-independence period. Kundal, the region around Sangli, was the capital of the Chalukyas. Kundal was an ancient village, around 1,600 years old. Kaundanyapur (its old name) was a part of Karnataka. Pulakeshin I chose Vatapi (Badami in Karnataka) as his capital. Kundal was home to freedom fighters like Krantisigha Nana Patil, Shamrao Lad, Captain Ramchandra Lad, G.D. Lad, Shankar Jangam, and Housabai Jangam. Marathi is main language spoken. Narsinhpur, an ancient village is also in Sangli district. Laxmi-Narsinh Ancient Temple is there from around A.D.1100–1200 period. Sant Namdeo, Sidheshwar maharaj, Tatya Tope were used to stay in the village in ancient period. This village history is also found in "GURU CHARITRA"
Sangli District is located in the western part of Maharashtra. It is bounded by Satara and Solapur districts to the north, Bijapur District, Karnataka to the east, Kolhapur and Belgaum, Karnataka districts to the south, and Ratnagiri to the west.
Sangli district is situated in the river basins of the Warna and Krishna rivers. Other small rivers, such as the Warana and the Panchganga, flow into the River Krishna. Land in the region is suitable for agriculture.
Laxmi Market, Miraj
According to the 2011 census Sangli district has a population of 2,820,575, roughly equal to the nation of Jamaica or the US state of Kansas. This gives it a ranking of 137th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 329 inhabitants per square kilometre (850/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001–2011 was 9.18%. Sangli has a sex ratio of 964 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 82.62%.Marathi is the main language, Kannada is also spoken widely.
Kundal is near Veerbhadra Temple Hill. This temple has 300 years of history. Kundal is a pilgrimage centre for the Digambar Jains, with thousands of Jains visiting each year. There is a temple built in the memory of Maharaja Jaising.
Kundal is surrounded by hills, including Zari Parshwanath. Water from the trough cascades near the idol of Mahaveer. Two caves house the idol of Mahaveer and the images of Rama, Sita, and Lakshman. Samav Sharan, a large open space on top of another hill, is considered holy by the Jains. They believe that Mahaveer gave sermons to his followers here.
- Sangli is birthplace of many legends in social as well as political reformers. Gopal Ganesh Agarkar was born in Thembu [Small town in Khanapur-Aatpadi constituency]. Balgandharva was born in village called Nagthane in Sangli district and Asha Bhosale was also born in Sangli.. Sangli was also native place of Bollywood actress Bhagyashree Patwardhan. " Sangit Natakas " (musical plays) are initiated in Sangli. Vishnudas Bhave is known to be father of the Sangit Natakas. Sangli is his birthplace but also work place.'Vita' a town in sangli district is nicknamed as 'City of Gold'.
Sangli is home of many politicians.Famous Politician such as, Yashwantrao Chavan 1st Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Vasantdada Patil Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Rajarambapu Patil, Gulabrao Patil Ex. President Maharashtra State Congress & Member of Parliament, Pantangrao Kadam Cabinet Minister Forest Minister & Chancellor of Bharti Vidyapeeth. Jayant Patil, R.R.Patil, Madan Patil are from Sangli. R. R. Patil is Home Minister of Maharashtra was also former Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra. Jayant Patil is current Cabinet Minister of Rural Development in the state of Maharashtra was also former Finance Minister of Maharashtra. One of the legends of cricket was born in Sangli named Vijay Hazare. Sangli has given Maharashtra many notable government officer's like Vishwas Nangare Patil [I.P.S], Rajaram Mane [I.A.S], Shrikar Pardeshi [I.A.S], and many more officer's amongst various departments in the State Government.
- Dhulappa Bhaurao Navale Born on 15 th January 1910 in a village Ankalkhop. He was founder of Shetkari Sahakari Sakar Karkhana Sangli. He gave the name to Sangli sugar factory,as 'Shetkari'(farmers Co-operative sugar factory)which is now called as Vasantdada shetkari sahakari sakar karkhana ltd Sangli. He was MLC from 1962 to 1971 from Satara & Sangli Dist.In 1937 Local Board elections he with his friends Gaurihar Sihasane & Sakharam Retharekar were congress candidates.All the three were elected from Satara Dist.against Kooper party supported by British.They had started the Congress party campaign from Ankalkhop-Audumber. Since then there is a tradition of Sangli District Congress party to start its campaign from Audumber-Ankalkhop. He was the first individual Satyaghari of Mahatma Gandhi from Satara District (in which Sangli Dist. was also included).He made his satyagraha in Bhilawadi in 1940. He was arrested & was sent to Yerwada Central Jail.He was very close friend of Late Yeshwantrao B.Chavan,swami Ramanand Bharti,V.S.Page,Nana Patil & Vasantrao(Dada)Banduji Patil. He made the historic (Preeti Sangam) union of his both friends Mr.Y.B.Chavan & Vasantdada Patil in his native village Ankalkhop on 24 May 1982.He was a great freedom fighter & was jailed twice by Britishers.He participated in Tasgaon Satyagraha,Islampur,Bilashi satyagraha etc.He was a founder & was a prominent leader in several co-operative organizations & educational institutions in Sangli District.He died on 30 Sept.1988.
- Gajanan Digambar Madgulkar (1919–1977), a Marāthi poet, lyricist, writer and actor. Born in Madgule in Atpadi taluk.
- Badami Chalukyas
- Badami Chalukya Architecture
- Western Chalukya
- Western Chalukya architecture
- Based on Election Commission website
- Census GIS India
- "Chalukya capital tells a tale of ruin". Radhesham Jadhav. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Jamaica 2,868,380 July 2011 est
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- "Jain Glory of Maharashtra". Retrieved 2009-04-14.[dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sangli district.|
|Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article Sangli.|
- Official website of Sangli district
- Map of Sangli district
- Laxminarayan Puratan Vastu Sanghralay Museum in Sangli
||Ratnagiri district||Satara district||Solapur district|
|Kolhapur district||Belagavi district, Karnataka||Bijapur district, Karnataka|