Sangtuda 2 Hydroelectric Power Plant
|Sangtuda 2 Dam|
|Location||Danghara District, Khatlon Province|
|Construction began||20 December 2006|
|Opening date||6 September 2011|
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Earth fill dam with clay core|
|Height (thalweg)||31.5 m (103 ft)|
|Length||385 m (1,263 ft)|
|Turbines||2 X 110 MW|
Construction commenced during the Soviet period in the 1980s, but halted in the beginning of the 1990s due to lack of financing. In 1995, Iran expressed interest in helping to finish the project, but an agreement was not signed until 2005. Building work restarted on 20 December 2006.
The power plant is built and operated Iranian company Sangob. The turnkey contractor was International Farab Co. The project was consulted by Mahab Ghods Engineering Company and the subcontractor was Omran Maroon Engineers Company. It operates simultaneously with Sangtuda 1 Hydroelectric Power Plant. It uses gates of Nurek reservoir.
Revenues during first 12 years would be paid to Iran - and after that, ownership would be transferred to Tajikistan.
- "Tajikistan, Iran, Afghanistan Sign Deal On Electric Power Line". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. 2006-02-21. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- "Iran starts building 180 mln usd Tajik hydroelectric power plant". Forbes. 2006-02-20. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- Akhuonova, Laleh Yunus (2011-09-06). "Iranian built Sangtuda 2 Hydropower Plant inaugurated in Tajikistan". Press TV. Retrieved 2011-12-26.
- "Emomali Rahmon gives start to construction of Sangtuda-2 dam". Tajik Water. 2010-11-29. Retrieved 2011-12-26.
- "Omran Maroon Engineers Company Projects". Omran Maroon. Retrieved 2011-12-26.
- "Sangtuda-2 units to be delivered by year-end". New Europe. 2009-09-19. Retrieved 2010-01-17.
- "Iran sends equipment by air to complete Sangtuda-2 dam". AsiaNews. 2011-08-01. Retrieved 2010-01-17.