Sanjō (三条市 Sanjō-shi) is a city located in Niigata Prefecture, Japan.
As of March 2006, the city has an estimated population of 107,510, with 33,302 households and a population density of 249.43 persons per km². The total area is 431.01 km².
Sanjō is located in the center of Niigata Prefecture. It is about 2 hours from Tokyo via the Jōetsu Shinkansen or 4 hours on the Kan-Etsu Expressway and Hokuriku Expressway. The Shinano River flows through the west of it from south to north.
From the north, following Sanjō's border counterclockwise:
The city is served by Tsubame-Sanjō Station on the Jōetsu Shinkansen from Tokyo to Niigata.
- December 18 - An earthquake struck the town of Sanjō.
- April 1 - The town of Sanjō and 30 villages were established.
- January 1 - The city of Sanjō was founded.
- January - A record-breaking heavy snowfall hits Sanjō.
- July 12 & July 13 - Heavy rain causes extensive flooding in Sanjō.
Notable people from Sanjō
Business headquartered in Sanjō