10 October 1989
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
|Relatives||Nikki Galrani (sister)|
Archana Galrani (born 10 October 1989), better known by her stage name Sanjjanaa, is an Indian model and film actress. She made her film debut in the Tamil film Oru Kadhal Seiveer (2006) and soon became noted after her controversial role in the Kannada film Ganda Hendathi (2006). Her supporting role in the 2008 Telugu film Bujjigadu directed by Puri Jagannadh brought her to limelight in the Telugu industry.
Sanjjanaa was brought up in Bengaluru. She is of Sindhi origin. She has a sister Nikki Galrani, who is also an actress. When she was doing her PUC, she received her first modelling offer. She continued her studies while working as a part-time model. She appeared in over 60 television advertisements, the most notable being a Fasttrack advertisement with John Abraham.
After appearing in a couple of advertisements and in uncredited cameo roles in the films Soggadu and Panduranga Vittala, she got her first starring role in Ganda Hendathi. Her first release, however, became the low-budget Tamil film, Oru Kadhal Seiveer, which met with negative reviews and poor box office returns. S R Ashok Kumar of The Hindu noted that Sanjjanaa, then credited under her birth name, was "beautiful but has to work on her acting". Ganda Hendathi, a Kannada remake of the Hindi film Murder (2004), itself an adaptation of the Hollywood film Unfaithful (2002), was also panned by critics. The film was released in Telugu as Mogudu Pellam O Boy Friend. Sanjjanaa's performance drew mixed reviews, with a reviewer from nowrunning.com claiming that she "utterly fails to deliver" in the emotional sequences, while Sify wrote "Sanjjanaa has made a decent debut and she is extremely daring and does justice to her role". In 2008, she made her Telugu film debut in Puri Jagannadh's Bujjigadu, in which she played a notable role alongside Prabhas and Trisha Krishnan. Although her role was small, the film gained her considerable attention and helped her growing in popularity. In 2010, she was first seen in the Telugu film Police Police, which was followed by a cameo role in Huduga Hudugi. Her final release of that year was Mylari that featured her opposite Shivrajkumar. It was the biggest milestone in her Kannada career as she was subsequently flooded with offers in Kannada cinema. Regarding her performance in the film, the Times of India wrote that she "shines in her lively and mischievous role". She won the Bangalore Times Award for Best Actor in a Negative Role Female in 2012 for I Am Sorry Mathe Banni Preethsona.
In January 2012, she played one of the lead female roles in Casanovva, her maiden Malayalam venture. Reportedly the costliest Malayalam production of all time, co-starring Mohanlal and Shriya Saran, the film saw Sanjjanaa portray a salsa dancer. Director Rosshan Andrrews signed her for the particular role, since she was trained in salsa. Her last release is her second Malayalam film, the Shaji Kailas directed The King & the Commissioner, co-starring Mammooty and Suresh Gopi. Later in 2012 she was seen in films including Narasimha, Ondu Kshanadalli, Sagar, all of which being Kannada projects, and Yamaho Yama.
In 2013 she appeared in Jagan Nirdoshi in Telugu which was made under Padmalaya Films and in Mahanadhi in Kannada, which was her first heroine centric film. She was then seen in Nenem…Chinna Pillana? in which she played a NRI again. She is currently filming for a Telugu comedy film, Saradha, directed by RP Patnaik, while her Kannada films Agarja, opposite Jaggesh, and Rebel which film has Aditya in the lead, and the Telugu film, Once Upon a Time have been finished.
Work profile -
Sanjjanaa has worked in quite a few significant roles in multiple south languages out of which the most impressive once were - Ganda Hendathi (debut) in Kannada, Bujjigadu directed by Puri Jagan featuring - Prabhas, Mohanbabu, Trisha, and Sanjjanaa (it's her Telugu debut) she can now also fluently talk and dubs her own films in Telugu, followed by (in Kannada -) Arjun with Darshan, and continued to deliver another super hit Mylaari with Shivrajkumar - is very popularly known as the "Mylapura Mylari Sanjjanaa which went out to be a elevating mile stone in her career) ... There on there was no looking back for her and later she was featured in "Narasimha" with Ravichandran, Rangappa Hogbitna with Ramesh Aravind and finally won an award from the times of India jury and by a public favourite poll for "Mathey Banni Preethsona a film by HP Ravindradas featuring Nenapiralli Prem and Sanjjanaa . She is now lately known in Karnataka as the Bigg Boss Sanjjanaa as she got her latest break alongside Sudeep being the host and participated in the much hyped and successful show "Bigg Boss" Karnataka and "Agraja" with Darshan was her last release.
How ever her career in good successful place in the Karnataka's Kannada industry, and on the Telugu front Sanjjanaa was seen back to back in two Suresh productions films produced by the mogul of Indian cinema "Shri D Ramanaidu" i.e. - Mugguru and Nen Me Chinapillanaa, and now she is filming and awaiting the release of her Telugu film which is in the release is - #Avanu - Part 2 in Telugu under Ramanaidu banner - Suresh productions, directed by Ravi Babu.
And in Kannada her futuristic releases would be -- "Mandya to Mumbai" which is currently in shooting stages - it's the remake of Tamil film Renigunta. And lately she has signed Bengaluru - 560023 (Remake of Chennai-28).
|2009||Mast Maja Maadi||Sanjana||Kannada||Special appearance|
|2010||Huduga Hudugi||Sanjana||Kannada||Guest appearance|
|2011||I Am Sorry Mathe Banni Preethsona||Sinchana||Kannada|
|2011||Take It Easy||Kannada||Guest appearance|
|2012||Ko Ko||Kannada||Special appearance|
|2012||The King & the Commissioner||Nitha Rathore||Malayalam|
|2014||Love You Bangaram||Telugu||Special appearance|
|2015||Once Upon a Time||Telugu||Post-production|
|2015||Mandya to Mumbai||Kannada||Filming|
|2015||Badarul Muneer Husnul Jamal||Malayalam||Filming|
|2015||Cinema My Darling||Devayani||Kannada|
|2016||Sardaar Gabbar Singh||Telugu||Filming|
- Best Actor in a Negative Role Female for Mathe Banni Preethsona - The Bangalore Times Film Awards 2011.
- "Happy Birthday Sanjjanaa". Ytalkies. Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- "Sanjana hopes to make a mark - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Sanjana on a roll - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
-  Archived January 30, 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- Sanjana Interview - Oneindia Entertainment
- "Sordid affair - Oru Kadhal Seiveer". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2006-03-10.
- Movie Review : Ganda Hendathi
- Ganda Hendathi Review - Kannada Movie Review by RGV
- Ganda Hendathi Kannada Movie Review - cinema preview stills gallery trailer video clips showtimes
- Sanjana loves auto ride - Oneindia Entertainment
- "Mylari - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "The Times of India: Latest News India, World & Business News, Cricket & Sports, Bollywood". The Times Of India.
- "Sanjjanaa took home the Best Actor in a Negative Role Female award". The Times Of India.
- A season of releases for Sanjjanaa - Entertainment - DNA
- "Sweden calling for Sanjjanaa's next Telugu film - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Three men for Sanjjanaa - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- Features, Express. "Sanjjanaa lives her dreams". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "Sanjjanaa’s wait continues". Deccan Chronicle. 2014-01-18. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "Sanjjanaa enjoying 'spicy' song shoot for Bangalore 23 - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2014-05-07. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "Sanjjanaa returns to Mollywood - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Sanjjana in `Life In a Metro`". Sify.com. 2014-02-28. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "The Bangalore Times Film Awards 2011". The Times Of India. 21 June 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sanjjanaa.|