||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Member of Parliament|
|Preceded by||Govinda Ahuja|
|Succeeded by||Gopal Shetty|
6 February 1965 |
Rohtas, Bihar, India
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
|Children||Daughter, Shivani Nirupam|
|Residence||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
Sanjay Nirupam (born 6 February 1965) is a former three-time Member of Indian Parliament, and currently serves as President of the Mumbai Regional Congress Committee. Nirupam served two terms as an MP in the Rajya Sabha first as a member from the Shiv Sena and then from the Congress Party. He represented North Mumbai Lok Sabha constituency from 2009 to 2014. He was a member of Parliamentary Committees such as the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) and Finance Committee. He opened the 2013–14 budget debate for Congress Party in Parliament. He was Secretary of the AICC and was also Secretary-in-Charge of the important state of Bihar. He is one of the National spokespersons of the Congress Party to express the Party's view on different issues on TV Channels. Sanjay Nirupam lost to BJP candidate Gopal Shetty in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections. He was appointed as President of Mumbai Regional Congress Committee in 2015.
In 1988, Nirupam accepted an offer from “Jan Satta” a sister publication of Indian Express which made him move to Mumbai.. After working at "Jan Satta" for about 5 years, he joined "Dopahar Ka Saamna" a mouthpiece for the Shiv Sena.
Nirupam also participated in Bigg Boss (Season 2), making him one of the first politicians in modern Indian history to do so.
He lost the 2014 Lok Sabha election from Mumbai North constituency by a margin of about 4.5 lakh votes.
- SANJAY BRIJKISHORLAL NIRUPAM (Indian National Congress(INC)): Constituency – Mumbai North (MAHARASHTRA) – Affidavit Information of Candidate:. Myneta.info (17 August 1996). Retrieved on 2016-01-24.
- "Ashok Chavan appointed Maharashtra Congress chief, Nirupam to lead Mumbai unit". Retrieved 2016-03-14.
- "Mumbai North: Cong's Sanjay Nirupam could face tough contest - Firstpost". Firstpost. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- Rediff On The NeT: RS adjourns for the day over Sanjay Nirupam's comment against Dilip Kumar. rediff.com (14 December 1998). Retrieved on 2016-01-24.
- "Mumbai North MP Sanjay Nirupam has a decent fund utilisation of 82 per cent" – Indian Express Tue 28 June 2011, 00:42 hrs